Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a strange thing happen on a routine journey of about 10 miles on quiet rural roads. As usual the engine temperature gauge did not start to move off cold till about 4 or 5 miles but as it reached three quarters of the way to normal it then dropped back to the quarter way position before increasing again to normal after about 7 or 8 miles. I then noticed that the indicated MPG figure had dropped to about half it's normal value (35 instead of 60) for that road and also when slowing down for a junction still in gear but with foot off the gas pedal the indicated MPG was 50 ish when it would normally be at it's max value of 99. When the car came to rest the engine tick over speed was about 1050rpm not the normal 750/800rpm, also the stop/start didn't stop the engine. I continued to my destination 2 or 3 miles further on but the symptoms remained as described. I returned to the car after about 20 minutes and set off on the 10 mile return journey home to find things behaved perfectly normally with the engine tick over speed and MPG reading correct. The only fault remaining is the engine stop/start still fails to stop the engine at all the junctions where it previously did. All the various settings and temperatures are as they have been for the last 1100 miles and everything has worked flawlessly. Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow that's a quick reply. thanks. Mmmm you could be right although I didn't smell anything or get any warning lights up on the dash. This is my first ever diesel car so things like regens and particle filters are all new to me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You do not get any warning lights for normal regen. You notice a big fall in mpg and often a strong burning smell, although not until you get out out the car. The first time it happen to me I thought I had a "hot or sticky brake"
I think the warning light only comes on at as last resort if the car tries to regen normally but does not have long enough trips to complete. I have had these filters for 0ver 3 years and not see that light yet.

Edited by: Lamp Tramp

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think one of the start/stop list of requirements is "not carrying out regen" which is why it would not stop the engine.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
There is an edit button to correct posts.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I suffered with the DPF cleaning itself on a number of journeys in my 55 plate Zafira sri; the first time it occurred I thought I had a big problem, with the engine noise difference and the strong smell coming from the exhaust. The Zafira still run very well but this led me to look at upgrading and I finally part exed for my lovely Mokka in Jan. I have not yet experienced the DPF cleaning on my Mokka

·
Registered
247 Posts
what kind of journeys do you make each day?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well done chaps it does look like the DPF cleaning is what was happening. Everything is back to normal today but just to be sure I gave her a burst down the motorway.  Thanks for your help I'll know what is happening next time.   (Wonder if I'm the first to experience this on a Mokka --- the car is almost 2 months old and done 1160 miles of which about 40% were short journeys).
Edited by: DietCokeBloke

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Nice to know what to expect should it happen to me. My last car was a diesel but never had a Dpf as that came just after my registration in 2006.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts