Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None at all

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I can't decide which would look best , My car will be a Summit White 1.4T SE..
Thanks

·
Registered
633 Posts
I dont know if the OE one are simply stuck on and could be pulled off,
the after market ones Dawn has shown wrap over the vulnerable edge of
the sill.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Matt ones will hide small scratches better than the polished finish ones.

Stainless steel is harder wearing than aluminum & keeps it's finish longer. Ally if it's lacquered will soon look dowdyonce the surface is penetrated & it starts to oxidize.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I bought some door sills protectors (from Halfords) for my previous car & I have to say that they were very good.One word of warning when fitting them yourselves........... I know they're only self adhesive, but they stick like s!?t. You only getONE go at fixing them down, so make sure they are exactlyin the position you want them before pressing down!!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Skavish2003 said:
Dawn you are aware you only need rear sill covers as the SE comes with Vauxhall front ones?
The Vauxhall ones are a little boring , I was hoping they could be unstuck

@Blum's post

Thanks for the votes people!
Edited by: Dawn

·
Registered
633 Posts
The brochure refers to 'Aluminium effect' so perhaps they are plastic and can be removed with the dental floss trick, Fatman is the bloke you want here.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Blum said:
The brochure refers to 'Aluminium effect' so perhaps they are plastic and can be removed with the dental floss trick, Fatman is the bloke you want here.
What I want is Skavish to see if he can pick his off, and if he can't and ruins it i'll know not to try

Fail thatCALLING FATMAN CALLING FATMAN!!
Edited by: Dawn

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ha ha ha. No chance. It does look pretty stuck on. I don't think that it will shift. Will have a closer look at it when the wife gets home.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Skavish2003 said:
Ha ha ha. No chance. It does look pretty stuck on. I don't think that it will shift. Will have a closer look at it when the wife gets home.

Not even a corner? Just a weeny bit will do

·
Registered
767 Posts
I would think to keep costs down the OE sill plates will be stuck down with no more than double sided trim tape.
Application of heat via ahair dryer, not a paint stripper heat gun, &keeping it moving so as to heat the whole surface as evenly as possible will help with the lifting process. Similar principle to debadging your boot or tail gate. Heat then floss.

·
Registered
505 Posts
You Rang.....

Regarding sill covers you will find that alot of factory fitted ones are stuck on with a strong double sided tape of sorts. However it has been known that some dealers will glue them onreceivingthem from the factory as the tape can sometimes fail.

I'mnot sure how the new sill covers are put on. But in the past on my astra when i looked at getting the ASTRA cut out and putting lights under neath for puddle lights. i just closed my eyes and yanked them off...... all was fine but there was not enough room and it was going to be more ball ache than ianticipated. So i scraped off what i could and used some WD40 to get rid of the residue then i cleaned it down with my trusted IPA solution. and glued them back on with this

This is the best adhesive i have ever used and it willdefinitelynot be coming back off.

In the end i glued some LED strip lights under my doors and wired them in to theElectronicEarth so when i open the car i get the desired effect like so.

Also what Blumsuggestedabout a dentalflosstype of thing. I would use a heavy gauge nylon fishing line.

Andy

Edited by: Fatman

1 - 20 of 57 Posts