Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the Mokka has only done 56k and has full service history although not full dealer and is a 13 plate 4x4 SE.

Just thought id list here the faults, ive not taken anything apart so cannot yet say what the cause or possible cause of them are but thought id list them in case anyone who is sorting it out themselves finds a fix here once ive updated it.
But a short while after buying it a number of faults came to light. Car supplied by Perry's Ford Mansfield.

• Rear screen 2 lines not de-misting, fix is replace screen with genuine.
  • Service vehicle soon, coming on regularly yet first checks by supplying dealer found no fault codes.
  • S/S not working sometimes, also has started then immediately cut out a few times.
  • Brakes making an odd binding/grinding noise even though all in good condition, has done it more often slowing or manoeuvring and also coming to a halt there has been a loud clunk this is with the clutch in of course.
  • 60mph+ a loud whine worse when there is a centre wall to reflect the noise, its speed related not engine speed and no effect using brakes. I think its the transfer box or prop, but i have no schematic of the 4x4 system so hard to work out and didn't even look under car yet to work it all out. My reading says it has a M32 box which was very troublesome in other Vauxhall's yet mine is a 4x4 so not sure what box it is. Dealer seems to think the noise is from the box as the box is off at the moment.
  • 2 weeks ago when going up an incline the car just lost power whilst driving in slow traffic, after breakdown and me getting there this was the clutch that just fried itself. Bearing in mind i drive cars harder than my moo and a few weeks before we had gone down to Swanage for a week and driven up/down the hilly area with some decent load and i did not detect any issues other than the noises listed above on brakes etc. So recovered to Perry's and now box is off, DMF has worn loose springs and they say clutch is worn enough to slip. But like i said clutches fail over time not all in one go and wonder if its all related to the S/S not working and the error code and the odd noises even. Although the noises are all present when braking not changing gear or pulling off, its like its all failed at once and even my over tuned CDTI didn't kill a DMF or clutch, yes it slipped a little until i backed off the torque to 440nm then it was fine but everything on the Mokka is standard and was working ok before.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Crikey that's not good at all -- have you just got the mokka ? or had it a while ? -- that list will cost a arm and leg to put right so hopefully it under a Perry's warranty

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the warranty company have said they wont cover the DMF and clutch being excessively worn and since it might need a pedal box due to the clutch pedal sticking down. So the costs have built up, im not convinced the noise coming from the brakes when coming to a halt is down to the worn DMF as the clutch would be pressed in and the engine disengaged.

The main shaft bearing is showing signs of failing as the rollers are loosing their surface coating so the M32 box needs a rebuild with new bearings which ironically the ex VX tech i spoke to said it would probably be better than factory as they put high quality bearings in them.
Perry's have said just to find another car, unfortunately they don't have an SE with Sat Nav and AFL's certainly not around the 8k mark

Ive mentioned to them a car down the road from me if they would buy that but not heard back and also said id be willing to wait for a repair but i think its the cost of it all would put them at to much of a loss so that's why they would just sell it on and give me another.

·
Super Moderator
9,260 Posts
That would be overwhelmingly generous from a warranty company, no?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wouldn't expect a loan car from the warranty company, but the car was bought from a main dealer only 3 months ago.

Yes, Perry's Mansfield have lent us a car in the mean time. I think the 2 managers will meet on Saturday to decide which way they would like to go so unless we disagree strongly with their solution its in their hands currently.
I would think the thinking is if there is a suitable car from their stock either now or soon then it will save them money instead of giving us a straight refund, whilst we don't have the money back but have a loan car its not a problem.
Ive suggested a car near by in the event they can get it cheaper as deal as a trader to trader deal so will see what they say.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the car back.

• Gearbox recon (TBC) but all shiney like new with new oil
  • DMF replaced
  • Clutch replaced, 3 part TBC
  • Brakes all stripped and lubed with correct materials
  • Rear screen replaced
All works well so far, battery needs loads more charge as SS and lights on options are not activating even though its turned on. No noise from the brakes and the gear change is like new.

Well done Perry's Mansfield i think this one cost them a lot.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still running ok, steering seems to have the odd squeak so will lube the steering joints and clutch pivot when its a dry day.

The NS headlight washer cover broke off today, even the Vectra ones last longer lol so ordered a new cover to be sent to my painter mate.

Oddly when i had the front bumper done on the Vectra i had all new washer jets and covers as the had seized a bit and one of the covers liked to pop loose but that's after 10 years of use.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Started getting a service vehicle soon warning, plugged in opcom and got 0181 which i believe is the fuel temp sensor.

As there's little info on the Mokka Ive found nothing useful so far, as Ive got to re-bleed the clutch when its decent weather ill look around the fuel filter housing and see what i can find there.
Shame there's no good online EPC, most likely ill have to go and bum my favourite parts department at Pentagon they will help once i waft a box of Thorntons at them LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cleaned the connector for the fuel filter as i read the temp sensor is in there but the error code still comes back. Fitted a new oil filler cap o-ring as there was some oily dirt that side until i cleaned it, reset the gear cables which has made the change smoother and bled the csc. Oddly the new fluid from the dealer work is slightly orange and my Castrol stuff is a clear yellow. Anyhow the gear change is loads better when i have more time ill bleed the brakes to so the whole system is new again.

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All good stuff, better than some garages can do.
You had to remove the ECU?
And how did you get Op-Com working on a Mokka?

Yup easy to do, i did see it as a modern car pain but then forgot the epic battle i have with anything on the V6 its like a 2 hour war just to get to the rear bank let alone replace any sensors or valves or lines at the back of the engine so in reality it was like 5 mins to remove the ECU and battery and suddenly you have lots of space.

I just plugged it in and selected Mokka, i can see lots of module data which is useful and get fault code but no live data which is annoying as i cant see if for say the MAF is reading 1 temp and the exterior ambient sensor is reading another so need to find something else as i dont even think tech2 works on these.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I am currently using an Xtrons BT unit and the Torque app, but I get very little information back from this setup.
I currently use the Volt Meter on Torque, but not much else.

Think I will resurrect my OP-Com unit, not used it since my Vectra days. Just inquired on op.com.co.uk about getting going again.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Full service today after garage Villa St Motors did the cambelt and aux belt replacement for me. Oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter and pollen filter. Tomorrow its bleeding all the brakes so its refreshed like the clutch. Still get the error code come up (P0181) but with no tools to properly read it or diagnose them im stuck unless i empty my bank into Derby Pentagon service. Drives well, feels better after the cambelt but no difference with the work i did. I was hoping it would be quieter with new oil.
Would love to know why the fuel filters go black on diesels.

Just checked, the last time it had a full service was June 2015! no wonder the filters other than air were on deaths door.

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Brake fluid change today, sucked the oil fluid out best i could from the reservoir topped it up with new and went round all corners. The vacuum bleeder i used on the clutch wouldn't do anything so it was back to the one man bleed that uses a 1 way valve. Was good to see the old orange fluid come out and go a clear yellow, i had a look at the service book and it didn't even have the brake fluid changed so this is the first in the car entire short life. No wonder it was a bit orange, seen worse though.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 58 Posts