Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many here, my Mokka turbo is whirring like an electric drill.

2015 1.6, 45k miles

Is there a way to disconnect it and just have subpar acceleration?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Its not that simple, you could take the exhaust off and jam the turbo so it couldn't spin, but the engine and electronics are deigned around it having a turbo, without extensive work the ECU would go into limp mode and reduce the performance to pitiful, it would be cheaper to have the turbo replaced, most Mokka's will never need a new turbo, there will always be a few that fail prematurely but many failures are down to driving style, (possibly a previous owner).

·
Registered
862 Posts
There have been one or two complaints on here of turbo problems on the 1.6 diesel

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not sure how driving style could do the turbo in if the car is fully standard. Maybe it has been modified in some way with a none standard exhaust or something? Not sure how the Mokka system works but on old type turbos to unload it you need to keep the waste gate open all the time. As said the performance would be pitiful.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I now its recommend that when you stop to let the engine idle for a minute before turning off .i believe it’s so oil stops in the turbo .some one on here will come with a better explanation.but I bet a lot of drivers don’t

·
Super Moderator
9,918 Posts
The consensus of opinion by manufacturers regarding modern day turbo motors; in nearly all driving conditions, the engine does not reach temperatures that require a deliberate cooling down period. It's not necessary to let the car idle if you simply drive normally for the last 2 or 3 miles before you shut off the engine. Just never shut the car off immediately after doing a hard pull or red band driving on a motorway. :cautious:

Reactions: Cyb

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I’m neither a granny nor a boy racer, just a boring dad with car seats in the back!

Put some turbo cleaner in the fuel tank and will give it a quick run around the block but I’m struggling to find anywhere to take it on a Sunday. Maybe better luck tomorrow, hire car in the meantime in case it’s FUBAR

·
Super Moderator
9,918 Posts
Please keep this Forum updated, thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts