Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wifey dinked a high curb today and managed to scrape the alloy and damage the tyre too :( the joys. 170 quid for a new tyre :( only covered 500 miles on it , brand new Continental (same as before) just need to get the scrape sorted now. Anyone know how much and how big of a job this is? It's only 2 inch long and thin across the top of the rim. Had to happen sooner or later :( more pissed about the tyre, they so expensive!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
I damaged my wheel on my insignia and found a firm on the web who attended the house and repaired the alloy wheel. They made a good job and charged me £40 which i thought was good value. The repair was first class and faultless
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
767 Posts
Assuming there is no buckling or cracking of the rim it depends how deep the scrape has gone. If it's through all the paint & damaged the alloy underneath then itwill need a bit more TLC than if it'sjust a top layer of paint scraped. I take it that it was sidewall damage that made the tyre scrap? That must have been some dink.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
572 Posts
Ouch! I think you can expect to pay £40-60 for the alloy. I had a brand new £200 tyre for my Peugeot 206 180GTI several years back and less than a week after buying it had a nail in the sidewall.


Have taken out insurance ever since!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
572 Posts
AlyG said:
Ouch! I think you can expect to pay £40-60 for the alloy. I had a brand new £200 tyre for my Peugeot 206 180GTI several years back and less than a week after buying it had a nail in the sidewall.
Have taken out insurance ever since!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
767 Posts
AlyG said:
AlyG said:
Ouch! I think you can expect to pay £40-60 for the alloy. I had a brand new £200 tyre for my Peugeot 206 180GTI several years back and less than a week after buying it had a nail in the sidewall.
Have taken out insurance ever since!
AlyG. Stop talking to yourself. You know it's a sign of madness.


Who said that? It's the voices. They keep telling me. Leave me alone. Please get me another biscuit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
572 Posts
Flat Eric said:
AlyG. Stop talking to yourself. You know it's a sign of madness.

 
Who said that? It's the voices. They keep telling me. Leave me alone. Please get me another biscuit. 
Don't you have a car to collect you jammie
???!!!!!

Oh jammie....reminds me of dodgers
Edited by: AlyG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys. It is booked into a wheel specialist tomorrow. After the wife telling me the tyre was damaged and it was flat (tall curb caused a split in sidewall) I was dredding looking at the alloy damage but surprisingly it isn't that bad... Very shallow scuff just a few mill on edge of the rim. Will let you know how the job goes tomorrow, just stressed a bit as its midnight silver colour and hopefully they can match it good enough. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
767 Posts
Skavish2003 said:
Thanks for the info guys. It is booked into a wheel specialist tomorrow. After the wife telling me the tyre was damaged and it was flat (tall curb caused a split in sidewall) I was dredding looking at the alloy damage but surprisingly it isn't that bad... Very shallow scuff just a few mill on edge of the rim. Will let you know how the job goes tomorrow, just stressed a bit as its midnight silver colour and hopefully they can match it good enough. :)
Sounds like the tyre took the brunt of it & saved the alloy from much worse damage. I had Wolfrace Shadow Chrome alloys & they were hard but not impossible to colour match. Yours will probably be similar with a darker base under the silver.

I feel for you as I had a set of Prodrive alloys on for only3 dayswhen Ihit a high kerb entering a multi story car park. I sat for a moment reflecting on my life & where it was heading & stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha ha. I reflected on her life for five min. Ha ha. Can't wait till she has her car so she can leave my Mokka alone :). Another question so you nice people, I had a new tyre identical to others but have noticed red stripes on the tread of this one? Is there a reason for this or will they disappear after a whole? Didn't notice these on the originals when I picked it up? Edited by: Skavish2003
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
767 Posts
Skavish2003 said:
Another question so you nice people, I had a new tyre identical to others but have noticed red stripes on the tread of this one? Is there a reason for this or will they disappear after a whole? Didn't notice these on the originals when I picked it up?
Doesthe stripe run all the way round the tyre? If so is it to the side like thisor more in the middle?

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think there is more than 1 red stipe. Hmm. Will have to have another look in morning. Someone came out and fitted it at her work if that has to do with anything? Balancing etc outside of a garage? Dunno what they are. And yeah they run all the way around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
572 Posts
Flat Eric:

Hahahahaha. That's what I did the time I RUINED an alloy on the drive thru Costa entrance.
I realised my life was heading down a path of ruination and despair..... Edited by: AlyG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
On a side note Skavish.. You can get Alloy Wheel Insurance. We took it out on my last car and thankfully only used it once. The guy came to my house and did a brilliant job
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
The likely cost of repair for a reasonable chip or mark is £40, compare that to the cost of yet another insurance cover. I have been very careful and have only "done" one wheel in 10 years
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
I think I need to touch wood on this but no alloy wheel curbage for 6 years! But I am more careful every since the last time and when my friend curbed an alloy on my car within this time (the evil look I gave him when he did it) but as it was a company car he offered to just pay whatever they charge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
I gotta say I'm a beast for kerbing wheels. But I've never bought myself a new car before so maybe I'll park more carefully the second I get in my Mokka...sods law I won't so those alloygators look interesting. Anyone ever used them? Good/bad experiences?
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top