Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have listened to several diesel cars and agree with some recent reviews, the engine is very noisy at low speeds, thats something Vauxhalls need to work on.

·
Registered
506 Posts
They are - the 1.7 diesel is being replaced by a new 1.6 diesel in 2014. First Vauxhall to get the new engine (this year? ) is the Meriva IIRC.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From the outset I would have preferred a larger engine than the 1.7, its a pity they haven't done that

·
Registered
506 Posts
I perhaps used the term "power" too loosely

Existing 1.7 - 130ps - 300Nm
New 1.6 - 136ps - 320Nm

·
Registered
600 Posts
Historically , larger engines have been noted for delivering more torque lower down the range , notably preferred by those that tow . The new engine is more efficient and the increase in power and torque reflects greater efficiency , which most of us crave .

·
Registered
8 Posts
The diesel engine noise is a lot more noticable than in the astra with what I assume is the same engine. I wonder if the new engines (in the link above) were originally meant to be ready for the release of the Mokka.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Irrespective of what is being said the engine of the 1.7 diesel is noisy by any sense of the imagination especially when compared with other diesel cars

·
Registered
145 Posts
jcol said:
Irrespective of what is being said the engine of the 1.7 diesel is noisy by any sense of the imagination especially when compared with other diesel cars
Yes I agree, a bit disappointed with it to be honest although I take some comfort from the occasional glance at the MPG display. Using Shell super diesel does seem to make it a bit quieter.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The engine is a little noisier Han my last car but not by much. Cannot say that I have been bothered by any excessive noise.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Finding it a bit noisier than the dci QQ we had, but not spoiling the new car experience. Its only done 170 miles so far - does the noise level improve when the engine has loosened up??

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No wonder they are called tractors!

·
Registered
817 Posts
We have the 1.7 Diesel Astras at work and most have 70k+ on the clocks.

They get thrashed and are often used 24/7 and i must admit they aren't any more noisey than the diesel Megane, Fiesta, or Qashqai that ive owned.

So im not too worried about the noise.

Oh apart from the Fiesta, that sounded like a bag of spanners. Edited by: Ixasio

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've just been to Scotland for a week driving about. No problems on the motorway (not as noisy as my previous petrol fiesta) but it does get noisy at low speeds going up steep hills.

I've tried differeng diesel i.e. superdooper ones and standard ones but haven't come to a conclusion as to whether it makes a difference.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the 1.7CDTi engine in both my Zafira and our Mokka AWD and I do not find the Mokka engine any more noisy than the Zafira 1.7 Energy CDTi Ecoflex which I think runs quietly .
But I do find that there is a lot of Road Roar from the tyres on the Mokka and that it changes a great deal between road surfaces and speeds and I do not have that so much in the Zafira and they both have Continental Tyres fitted.
<h1 ="it-ttl" itemprop="name" id="itemT*Tle">
</h1>

·
Registered
506 Posts
Lamp Tramp said:
I do find that there is a lot of Road Roar from the tyres on the Mokka and that it changes a great deal between road surfaces and speeds
That's my main complaint as well (assuming the AFL fix works
) - I find the road noise very noticeable, indeed intrusive and annoying. I'm going to get the dealer to take it out on a road test after doing the AFL fix tomorrow. I really don't recall the test drive I took in a 1.7 Exclusive being so noisy. Might ask to take a demonstrator out to compare with mine using the same route.

Just to stay on topic - the 1.7 diesel is a little loud and harsh, but not worryingly so. On a "B" road I can't hear it anyway due to road/tyre noise

·
Registered
767 Posts
I wonder if on the demo cars, although low mileage, they had scrubbed in their tyres a bit more. I know when new some tyres can be quite loud until all the little bobbles have worn away & the surface has bedded in a bit. If higher mileage cars are stillgetting the road noise then it more likely down to the tyre tread & compound so not much you can do until whenyou canchange tyre brands.
And compared to my Defender enginemy CDTi is whisper quiet.

Edited by: Flat Eric

·
Registered
156 Posts
Number Six said:
The Contis are rated as being quite noisy ( E , I believe ) .
E is the fuel efficiency of the tyre, the noise rating is 71db ( middle of the spectrum).
Not the best for fuel, if they were A rated then we could be seeing an economy improvement of 5%. Edited by: 1dera

1 - 20 of 102 Posts