Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if using snow foam affects the diamondbrite protection?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
No it wont. Diamond bright is nothing more than a coat of polish/sealant (and a massive waste of time in the eyes of many).

You shouldn't have any problems applying any cleaning products on top of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
As above weast of money keeping it with good wax and sealents will be better
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
Some snow foam will strip your current protection. If you are worried then you should use a ph neutral snow foam.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
To be honest though Fatman, just driving it in weather will strip it. I wish there was some sort of test that could be done to show how much was left on the paint after one winter, my guess would be zero.

The vast majority of the time they just let the YTS lad apply it to give him something to do. It's nothing more than a sponge that you pierce and rub over the car, then turn the sponge over and buff it off. The interior treatment is just an aerosol spray.

I've got a Supaguard kit in my garage that anyone can have foc if they want to come and fetch it from Peterborough area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Not at all. He's right it would be best to use a ph neutral foam. At the same time I would advise that you never use tap water to wash your car and only ever use distilled water but seriously who is going to do it.

All you need to do to keep any car clean is wash it regularly with a good quality product like Meguires, Zymol, Auto Glym etc. Keeping a car looking nice and being a car detailer is a very very different thing.

What I would challenge is why anyone would pay money for a dealership to apply what is essentially a sponge full of polish to your entre car (meaning it goes on extremely thinly) and then believe that it is going to perform some kind of magical protection for the life of the car. Of course it doesn't. it's gone within weeks just like any polish. And as for the interior you may as well go and spray it with Fabreeze lol.

Actually I should shut up lol. If anyone with a new Mokka wants to save some money you can bring it to me and I will either Diamond Bright or Supaguard it for you for £200





Edited by: Barny
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
817 Posts
Heres one for you!

I have been offered the same thing from a dealer when I buy a second hand car.

Doesnt that prove Barny right. It doesnt last if it did then they neednt offer it on a used car.

Or am i being stupid....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,017 Posts
Ixasio said:
Heres one for you!

I have been offered the same thing from a dealer when I buy a second hand car.

Doesnt that prove Barny right. It doesnt last if it did then they neednt offer it on a used car.

Or am i being stupid....
I think that it would depend on whether the car in question had had paint protection when it was new, if it had never been treated it wouldn't have worn off (if you get my drift) as there was nothing to wear off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
572 Posts
Barny said:
The vast majority of the time they just let the YTS lad apply it to give him something to do. It's nothing more than a sponge that you pierce and rub over the car, then turn the sponge over and buff it off.
So I take it from this then that you have no wash done before taking delivery of a new car and never take advantage of the 'free wash' when the car is in to be serviced????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
817 Posts
Mokkadna said:
Ixasio said:
Heres one for you!

I have been offered the same thing from a dealer when I buy a second hand car.

Doesnt that prove Barny right. It doesnt last if it did then they neednt offer it on a used car.

Or am i being stupid....
I think that it would depend on whether the car in question had had paint protection when it was new, if it had never been treated it wouldn't have worn off (if you get my drift) as there was nothing to wear off.
How would you know if it already had it done?

Is it recorded anywhere and more than likely the sales person will probably not know if it has it and
try to sell it. They dont know what features are on new cars half the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,017 Posts
Ixasio said:
Mokkadna said:
Ixasio said:
Heres one for you!

I have been offered the same thing from a dealer when I buy a second hand car.

Doesnt that prove Barny right. It doesnt last if it did then they neednt offer it on a used car.

Or am i being stupid....
I think that it would depend on whether the car in question had had paint protection when it was new, if it had never been treated it wouldn't have worn off (if you get my drift) as there was nothing to wear off.
How would you know if it already had it done?

Is it recorded anywhere and more than likely the sales person will probably not know if it has it and
try to sell it. They dont know what features are on new cars half the time.
My thoughts exactly Ixasio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
Sticker in the window and a certificate is provide, beside that the finish is obvious
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
AlyG said:
Barny said:
The vast majority of the time they just let the YTS lad apply it to give him something to do. It's nothing more than a sponge that you pierce and rub over the car, then turn the sponge over and buff it off.
So I take it from this then that you have no wash done before taking delivery of a new car and never take advantage of the 'free wash' when the car is in to be serviced????
Not at all cus I really don't care about that stuff. My current work car is a 2 year old Golf that's done 90k and spends it's week on and off farms and in and out of fields and I know when I put it in the work car park tomorrow people will ask me who cleaned it. (I spent all morning on it today)

I mentioned earlier that keeping a car tidy and detailing a car are vastly different. If I was a detailer then no I would not ever let a dealership touch it.

I've been a member of no end of car forums and in fact set up and ran focusstoc.com for a few years and always on sites in the detailing section you see extensive posts on car detailing. The truth is though that only a small minority will go into that detail. Everyone else can keep their car looking nice by just cleaning it properly.

All I do is the following.

Foam the car. Rinse it. Wash with the 2 bucket technique with Meguires tech wax. I only ever use a lambswool mitten and a Mequires synthetic chamois. Then 2-3 times a year I'll polish it with Meguires and seal it with Megs Gold Class. Along with this I'll remove tar etc obviously. I'd consider every car I've ever owned to be immaculate. But I wouldn't say I was a detailer, those guys go to far more effort and fair play to them their cars look awesome afterwards.

Just as a visual aid both the below pics are previous cars of mine. The Fiesta was around 2 years old when this pic was taken and the Nova was given to me at 18 years old and I cleaned it up and seriviced it to sell it. Neither had ever been paint protected or detailed.




 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
Im letting them clean the car now before I pick it up as I can give it a good inspection then at the dealers. Can't get blamed for scratches or small dents then.

Once I get my hands on it, it's haveing a 2 day detail. And I will be applying Ceramishield http://up-to-scratch.co.uk/ceramishield. So I need to get the Mokka perfect to the best of my abilities before I apply it.

My friend has had Ceramishield on his Astra for nearly a year now and it's still doing its job.

Anway back on topic. If you are happy with the products the dealer has used then either stick with them or look for other cheaper products which will probably be just as good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
Barny. They look stunning. I've always been a believer of a quick wash once a week and maybe a bigish detail once or twice a year is all it takes to keep it looking in showroom condition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,224 Posts
jcol said:
Sticker in the window and a certificate is provide, beside that the finish is obvious
This will be the same sticker that will mess up the auto lights. D'oh!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
767 Posts
Barny said:
Not at all. He's right it would be best to use a ph neutral foam. At the same time I would advise that you never use tap water to wash your car and only ever use distilled water but seriously who is going to do it.
I have known "Show & Shine" entrants to buy distilled water in bulk before compeT*Tions. I have also watched them wipe the soot fromthe inside of their exhaust tail pipe before polishing theinside with metal polish. I won't mention what I have seen them do with a leaf blower.


Although not a "Show & Shiner" but having owned a black show car &living in a more rural area not suffering much from acid rain I used to userain water as a cheaper alternative to distilled water. Nature's distillery has worked for me and was collected in 3 water butts & I never suffered from water marks even after a hurried drying of the car.

Autoglym shampoo & rainwater.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
AliG said:
wrote


So I take it from this then that you have no wash done before taking delivery of a new car and never take advantage of the 'free wash' when the car is in to be serviced????
I have had my cars serviced by  Vauxhall dealers for quite a few years now, and whilst I have in the past had a car wash and interior clean as part of the service, that stopped a few years ago. When I lived in Essex the dealer would collect and return my car instead of a loan car.
Now it is often returned dirtier than when it went in and no offer of a wash.

Edited by: DietCokeBloke
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top