·
Super Moderator
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

·
Super Moderator
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Is this the back door for compulsory cycle insurance, hopefully? In the meantime, pedestrians keep your eyes peeled for all their antics.
"Police won't punish cyclists riding on pavement" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">You
won't be fined for riding on pavements cyclists are told: Police will
no longer take action amid fears for their safety when they cycle on the
road.

·
Super Moderator
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Watch out Birmingham, £1,038 fine and 5 points for<strong id="ext-gen166" style="letter-spacing: -0.16px; font-family: graphik, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;"> driving too close to a bike! Click

·
Super Moderator
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

·
Banned
15 Posts
Some of you guys scare me with your attitudes. Yes there are many bad cyclists, and bad motorcyclists, but they are well outnumbered by the bad car drivers who have the potential to cause much more serious harm than anyone on two wheels possibly could. Been driving cars, riding motorcycles and riding bicycles for well over 45 years, never had an accident or caused an accident. I believe riding on two wheels makes you much more aware of road dangers, but many choose to continue to ride like plonkers. But my point is that car drivers have no right to take the moral high ground when it comes to road use.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Drivers can claim a degree of moral high ground given that their misdemeanours and stupidity can be identified by the compulsory number plate fitted to their vehicles.

They can be identified long 'after the event' by the plethora of fixed and mobile cameras on our roads.

Equally, they have (or should have) compulsory insurance when things go wrong.

Neither number plates nor insurance are mandatory for cyclists - but should be.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Most ordinary cyclists are fine, the problem is often the lycra clad brigade either racing in a pack or against a timer, on one hand they want to be given more room, but on the other they put themselves in danger, overtaking on the inside or between lanes of slow moving traffic, if we all set a timer for the daily commute, trying to beat our best time the roads would be a nightmare. What is it about pulling on lycra that makes so many cyclists so angry?

·
Registered
474 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Most ordinary cyclists are fine, the problem is often the lycra clad brigade either racing in a pack or against a timer, on one hand they want to be given more room, but on the other they put themselves in danger, overtaking on the inside or between lanes of slow moving traffic, if we all set a timer for the daily commute, trying to beat our best time the roads would be a nightmare. What is it about pulling on lycra that makes so many cyclists so angry?

And riding well away from the curb and most of the time not even using the cycle track that's been lined for them :tsurprise:

·
Banned
15 Posts
Would be interesting to have a poll of some sort to identify how many of the anti-cycling commenters are also cyclists.
Some of the posts and images, some even by a moderator of causing actual deliberate harm, are quite concerning. Fun is fun, but surely there are limits to what is acceptable.

On my cycling jaunts around the local country roads I have had a can of Miller lager full of pish, a carton of milk and a glass bottle all tossed at me. The can containing the pish was a direct hit, not funny at all. I have had a dogs teeth embedded in my left buttock, only to be advised by the owner that it 'was only playing with me' as blood was dripping from my arse. FFS what is wrong with some people. The Police were called to that particular incident.

That was the final straw, and not been on a bicycle since. Pity, as it kept me physically and mentally healthy.

So if someone can find anything remotely funny in my post, I would be gobsmacked.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Nothing at all funny in your post.

I used to cycle regularly until my Achilles tendons calcified. Thirteen operations later and my cycling days are long behind me.

I still give cyclists plenty of room but they are, in many cases, their own worst enemies.

No lights and dark clothing should, if police had resources, see them pulled over if only to give them some common sense advice.

Equally, we have a brand spanking new segregated by a kerb, cycle lane running for about a mile alongside a busy rod locally. It has caused chaos for other road users by introducing pinch points that are even impeding emergency vehicles. The nonsense is that you will see more cyclists not using it than using this safe dedicated lane. The anger directed at the cyclists in this instance is fully understandable.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I have no beef with cyclists most use common sense when out on the road -- what does get my goat are the minority who make up their own version of the road traffic act - take traffic lights as a prime example, the lights are on red with vehicles waiting patiently when along comes a push bike with a colour blind rider who then proceeds to turn left or worst still take his chance by continuing straight ahead -- turning left onto the carriage way without even looking to the right, you see this daily -- the list goes on - it's the inconsiderate minority who make motorists angry but on the same token some car drivers are anti bike riders and really should give more thought and not treat cycle riders as the enemy

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Would be interesting to have a poll of some sort to identify how many of the anti-cycling commenters are also cyclists.
I'm not anti cyclist and that probably goes for the rest of the members, I'm anti idiot cyclists, anti idiot motorcyclists and anti idiot car drivers, my only physical contact with a cyclist was in stationary traffic an idiot cyclist was overtaking on the inside, he hit my wing mirror and ended up sprawled on the footpath, he picked himself up kicked my passenger door and rode off down the footpath leaving me to foot the bill for his stupidity and anger.

·
Banned
15 Posts
As previously mentioned, I have been attacked by car drivers, not sure if any of you have been attacked by a lycra clad cyclist with a can of pish in their hand. Have fun continuing to demonise cyclists, just hope no cyclist has the misfortune to 'bump into' one of you. Before trying to justify a response, please take time to look at all posts in this particular topic. Some by a Moderator.
I am still picking up a general agenda against cyclists with these posts, so I think I will just leave the conversation.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts