Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1.4T Exclusive and noticed fluid dripping on to my drive. Turns out it's coolant coming from the reservoir at the front of the engine compartment. When the engine is hot it's escaping from the overflow and dripping down through the engine.
This doesn't appear to be affecting the coolant level but wondered if anyone else had noticed this?
I thought there would have been some sort of drip tray to allow the overflow to evaporate before it got to the stage of splashing all over the engine.

·
Registered
817 Posts
You sure it's not the air con? Which is normal to drip condensation?

If its coolant with antifreeze then it's not right

·
Registered
506 Posts
My thoughts also. Air conditioning condensate fools a lot of people before they realise what's going on

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely coolant!
It is pink in colour and the give away is the fact that the bottom of the reservoir is wet and you can clearly see is splashed on hoses below and other parts of the engine.
When I took it to Arnold Clark they checked it as I thought originally it might have been coming from the connecting hose in to the reservoir. This all turned out to be fine and their mechanic spotted that a small amount of fluid had been coming out of the overflow. The splashes on the hoses etc. below pretty much lined up to this.
This isn't coming from air conditioning. It's cold up here, not had to use it yet.

·
Registered
817 Posts
It will affect the coolant level eventually.

I'd have it properly seen to

·
Registered
633 Posts
There was a modification in the early days that may be relavant =

1. SE badge on wing

2. Seatbelt mod.
3. Coolant hose clip

4. Security pass.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Coolant may have been slightly overfilled

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Car was back in at dealer last week. Turns out there's a crack in the coolant header tank. Booked in to get it replaced on Friday.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Glad you sorted it Duggy

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also have a 1.4T 4x4 Exculsive, and have notice I had no coolant in my header tank, I have now topped it up. Checked it again this morning and it has gone down 15mm or so from the line after using the car for a short trip, I topped it up when it was cold. I can not see any leaks or cracks in the tank, has anyone else seen this? Is there a level sensor does anyone know?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had mine in to my local dealer a few times before they found a small crack on the bottom of the header tank where one of the pipes fitted on.
They changed the header tank and I've not lost any fluid since. That was over a year ago.

·
Registered
788 Posts
No modern car should use or lose coolant, there pressurised systems (and if they weren't then the coolant would boil).
So if you have to top the coolant up or are losing some, there is a problem.

·
Super Moderator
BR 3 car pacer. 10 litre turbo diesel
3,571 Posts
Mokka_Pokka said:
No modern car should use or lose coolant, there pressurised systems (and if they weren't then the coolant would boil). 
So if you have to top the coolant up or are losing some, there is a problem.
Would that show on the temp. gauge to give you a clue that something was wrong? Edited by: Fredave

·
Registered
788 Posts
If it gets very low yes.......as the temp sensor will have no water around it and the gauge will drop to zero.....shortly before something else lets go!
Not looked to see if they have a level sensor on the Mokka.

I should also add ONLY TOP UP WITH A 50:50 ANTIFREEZE MIX of the correct type, if you don't you dilute the solution which:

1) reduces the protection to freezing
2) Consumes more of the anti corrosion additive in antifreeze

Point 2) is key and the major reason why you have to change it every 4-5 years, if you don't then you see alloy corrosions around cylinder heads etc.....

And get it fixed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Booked mine in today with dealers,lets see what they say. I not sure if any of you have ever noticed but antifreeze smells sweet when it burns off which is what attracted me to have a look under the bonet. I also noticed that there is no level sensor on the tank, so I am not sure you would evey notice, until it was too late.

·
Super Moderator
BR 3 car pacer. 10 litre turbo diesel
3,571 Posts
Thanks for mentioning the sweet smell. By sounds of it, it could be the only indicator that something's wrong.

·
Administrator
10,480 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just a quick update to my coolant leak turns out to be the water pump that is at fault, my dealers have already replaced it and I,am back driving again, pretty quick I thought..

·
Administrator
10,480 Posts
Excellent service from your dealership and hopefully no further problems.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts