Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mokka 1.7 CDTi Diesel Auto Borocay Blue
Having done just 320 miles and on M4 doing 60mph when CodE 89 appears. Yes 89 NOT S89. Called AA who plugged in test equipment and found nothing. Taken to dealer four days later again checked and no fault found. Exactly the same circumstances again on Friday 8 November under 1100 miles now and same code.
After five days told it is the 'O2' sensor which will take another 5 to 7 working days to obtain.
I am absolutely disgusted with the length of time it takes to get such a small part.
Costing Vauxhall £30 a day for a hire car which is an Insignia managing about 15mpg.
Richardb7

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mokka 1.7 CDTi Diesel Manual White

Just had an identical experience at 350 miles. Car has been at the garage all day and they have just told me the the cause was a DPF regen failure. When I asked why the DPF warning light hadn't come on I was told that Vauxhall had decided not to connect it any more as it was "scaring" people when it came on. When i asked how I was supposed to know when cleaning was taking place, or required, the reply was "you wont". Just take it for a good half hour drive 3 or 4 times a week, keep the revs over 3.5k and don't use 6th gear and it will be fine????

Anyone else aware these lights are no longer functioning?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My '89' code apparently was a faulty 'O2' sensor which was 'eventually' replaced. Have given it a good run again and the fault did not re-appear. Fingers crossed. Cost Vauxhall 10 days hire for and Insignia and £100 voucher for my troubles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The winter edition of the Institute of Advanced Motorists magazine has an article about the DPF. They state '......it takes about 20 minutes at a high temperature to burn the soot away.' Continuing with '....the engine must run at around 2,500rpm for 20 minutes.' This would entail selecting a gear something like two down from top gear to ensue the correct revs. They also add 'If the warning light is ignored the DPF starts to get blocked and the engine begins to lose power.' Apparently if the garage cannot clear it a new unit costs several hundred pounds.Bit naughty if they have disconnected the warning light.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine has just done 30k now getting the code.

So from above I'm hoping vauxhall will sayDPF regen failure/o2 sensor.....

....see you on the other side

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, my Mokka kept showing code 89 every now and then, took it in to Vauxhall for a check and they said it needed a core plug on cylinder 2??? had to take it back because they had to order the part, but fitted within 30 mins, and now the car doesn't show code anymore. To be honest car ran fine throughout, so glad it threw the code up or I would not have known. BTW cars mileage is at 16500.
Also, had the car 2 years now, just had second service at £249
...my wife is the main user and she loves it. Apart from the issue above, we've had trouble free motoring.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There seems to a lot of this code 89 error about, My '89' code apparently was a faulty 'O2' sensor which is due to be replaced soon, it doesn't bother me to be honest, and only appears on cold mornings, or if the car has not been used for ma while. A lot of people also have the code S89 which is a different thing all together.My only other part that I am waiting on is the gear linkage due to the fact that the car is a tad hard to get into first gear , that took nearly three weeks to arrive....

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ibbo said:
Hi, my Mokka kept showing code 89 every now and then, took it in to Vauxhall for a check and they said it needed a core plug on cylinder 2??? had to take it back because they had to order the part, but fitted within 30 mins, and now the car doesn't show code anymore. To be honest car ran fine throughout, so glad it threw the code.
A core plug is an inert round plug with no electrical connection, how does a core plug bring up an ECU fault?
Unless it is not a core plug as I know it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looks like it can only be that the customer misheard what was said or that particular dealership wins this months award for most inventive BS.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
It's like the pressure boost sensor on mine, I'm waiting for a new one, but it's working fine at the moment., touch wood. Like Mokka_Pokka says, it either works or it doesn't !!

·
Registered
7 Posts
had a code 89 message on my 2013 1.7CDTI (30k).......turns out 1 of my glow plugs had gone

They told me the 'code 89' translates to general engine issue (hence why some are o2 sensors, glow plugs etc)

The convo was:
"usually we change all 4"
"okay, how much?"
"parts inc labor and vat looking around £600"
"
"
"oh I just noticed you're not part of the vauxhall service club! would bring the cost down to £420"
"okay, so what do I get with such a membership!?"
"it's free to join and no monthly or yearly fee"
"
...errm i'll just take the car back"

....."dad (mechanic) can you get me 4 mokka glow plugs?"
"sure son, genuine vauxhall parts would be £85"
"thanks dad, is it difficult to fit?"
"they're all easily accessible , I can do it on the driveway"
"....You would never believe how much vauxhall quoted me"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi there. Im about 49k on clock. got code 89 appearing every morning or even on car with auto stop on. I try to visit dealer but if its glow plugs i will ask my mechanic to change them for me. But is it not better to check the car under computer first? maybe its o2 sensor? i take car for a ride last week like i used to when dpf icon was poping up, and it still giving code 89. In morning it takes longer to start specially when its colder. I know that glow plugs are not covered by warranty so I need to pay for testing 79pounds and then for parts, so i will choose my mechanic. What are the chances that its glow plugs not O2 sensor?

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you can test for yourself go for it!

I paid vauxhall to check and confirm what's wrong, then got it fixed myself (well dad (40years+ motor and electronic engineer and his mate 30+years mot tester)

All the best

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought a brand new Mokka diesel in 2013.I have had 5 years of code 89 popping up with various Vauxhall dealers trying to resolve the problem.Had various sensors changed and it is still an on going situation.Thank God back when I bought it the lifetime warranty was offered.On a personal note,with all the hassle I have had and still am getting I would not buy another.owning a used Mokka without the lifetime warranty is not a place I would like to be in.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had, that, few days ago, so I did full service, filters were black, dealers who sold me care said they done it, so reset oil, code 89 went out, jimmy

·
Registered
351 Posts
iv got software on my laptop which reads the vauxhall software, it gives a reading for the glow plugs showing voltage, will save a trip to the dealers if i get a fault

·
Registered
9 Posts
Code 89 error

So I’ve just got my mokka 15 plate serviced and a week later I’m getting a code 89 error. There’s only 22000 miles on clock..I don’t do a lot of miles. Someone’s mentioned am 02 sensor but I’m wondering if any of you guys know anything about the problem?
Cheers

Post merged.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts