Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - purchased a second hand Mokka X two months ago (my first SUV) and I like the car, spec,design etc but I am really not enjoying the ride. I find it very bumpy and jittery around town and it seems even the smallest pothole or manhole sends shudders through the cabin. Only one prev owner, low mileage, FSH.

I like the design of the SUV and I am seriously considering cutting my losses and looking at another brand (Seat, Nissan or Honda) but before I go off browsing the market after lockdown, can anyone advise if this is a common Mokka issue or just a general trait of the SUV?

ps I tyres are not low profile and I have already reduced the psi down to recommended 32 for small loads (mainly just me that drives the car)

Thanks

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
The best thing to do if you are unhappy with the ride is to try other makes which I suppose is a pretty obvious answer, but bearing in mind that everyone's perception of good and bad differs -- yes test drive when you can other makes for comparison purposes but bearing in mind it's what you feel happy with not others (y)

·
Registered
Mokka X Elite in Satin Steel Grey Metallic plus Mokka X Styling Kit.
185 Posts
All short wheel base vehicles give a more bumpy ride than long wheel base versions (which is way limos are so long). If you had a Vauxhall Corsa or Ford Fiesta you would find them more uncomfortable than an Insignia or Mondeo. Now add the fact an SUV has extra height and needs stiffer suspension to prevent body roll you get a compromise in comfort. Any small SUV e.g Ford EcoSport, etc will be similar. If you are looking to change you need to consider the length of the wheel base and move into the medium - large SUV market.

·
Super Moderator
10,101 Posts

·
Banned
899 Posts
I had a New early 2017 Mokka X Elite Nav that was hard like you describe, and I mean hard
it one of the things that made me part with it, I now have a 2019.5 Mokka X and it is on smaller
17 inch wheels and it also feels like they have softened the suspension from the last one,
it's much better

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a New early 2017 Mokka X Elite Nav that was hard like you describe, and I mean hard
it one of the things that made me part with it, I now have a 2019.5 Mokka X and it is on smaller
17 inch wheels and it also feels like they have softened the suspension from the last one,
it's much better
My model is a 2019 1.4 Design on 17 Inch wheels - so I dread to think what your previous model drove like - maybe I should count myself lucky!!

·
Banned
899 Posts
I also think the Continental tyres don't help either, I shall be going to a Michelin or
similar softer tyre when I change them

·
Banned
1,728 Posts
I can remember years ago test driving a Suzuki grand vitara, it had quite a firm ride, then I test drove a Honda CRV, Loved the soft ride till I nearly rolled it on a sharp bend, ended up with the cheaper Suzuki, and came to love it!

·
Registered
Mokka X Elite in Satin Steel Grey Metallic plus Mokka X Styling Kit.
185 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
My model is a 2019 1.4 Design on 17 Inch wheels - so I dread to think what your previous model drove like - maybe I should count myself lucky!!
Agree. I have same as you model and year, I am going to chat with an independent mot mechanic and see what he suggests to improve ride. All Mokkas can definitely do with ride performance improvement. Spring, dampers or shocks. Will feed back what advise is suggested.

·
Banned
1,728 Posts
After checking the suspension/shocks are in good order, the easiest way is the fit smaller wheels and bigger tyres such as those fitted to base European models with 16 inch wheels and 205/70 R16 tyres.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I get a decent ride in my Mokka .not sure whether it’s to do with tyre load settings,
Light
Eco
Max
Not sure what my is settings are can not remember.but car rides ok

·
Banned
1,728 Posts
I think its down to expectations, ours has 18" wheels and with the tyres at 32 the ride is firm, but I've never been unhappy with it.

·
Banned
899 Posts
My 2015 Mokka was fine, my 2017 was horrendous and my latest 2019.5 Mokka is
absolutely fine and is on 17 inch wheels and feels softer than any

1 - 16 of 16 Posts