Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if fitting nudge bars interfere with the front parking sensors?

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
With all the threads on this Forum containing alerts about bull bars/nudge bars, advising insurance companies, possible injuries to pedestrians and whether legal or not, I just wondered with them fitted why the concern about front parking sensors working? :confused:

·
Registered
120 Posts
With all the threads on this Forum containing alerts about bull bars/nudge bars, advising insurance companies, possible injuries to pedestrians and whether legal or not, I just wondered with them fitted why the concern about front parking sensors working? :confused:
Or buy one of these, same sort of thing, people will still wonder 'why' but easier to fit ...

·
Registered
472 Posts
I know, just ram it out of the way :LOL:

·
Registered
208 Posts
The only one i've seen available for the Mokka requires the removal/deactivation of two of the parking sensors either side closest to the license plate.

Addition insurance expense aside, all new bull bars sold in this country can't actually be used for nudging/ramming anything anyway, they are designed to break and fold into the front end of the car in order to protect pedestrians. Its a lot of hassle to go through just for a 'look' but each to their own.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just trying to protect my car. Sorry that I appeared to have upset some. Point of fact, I am a Paramedic so am in the interest of protecting life NOT harming! Thanks to the person who offered constructive feedback that bull bars are not suitable. I think that this is more than likely not a club for me.

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
Firstly as a paramedic you are doing a fantastic job, especially in this current situation.
Regarding your post, everybody on a forum has a point of view which doesn't necessarily have to agree with everyone.
With this in mind, I'm sure nothing vindictive was meant.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I think that this is more than likely not a club for me.
Don't be too hasty, you just asked a controversial question, my opinion is that bull/nudge bars create problems rather than solve them, but if you want them and your insurers are happy, it is your car to do as you like (within the law), as far as your question goes it is likely you will need to deactivate your parking sensors, depending on the position of the bars.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Correct, if you want them fit them and tell anyone who moans to do one (y)

Ironically enough i was thinking about this earlier, not that i know every single car but for a fact the Vectra C and Insignias and Astra H +J's dont actually have a bumper as we all might know it. So i assume all cars are the same now, they have a cover in various shapes. So the Vectra has 4 variations with in my opinion the VXR one looking the best, behind it is a crash bar which is the part that deforms in an impact with something bigger than a person. The bumper 'cover' is designed to deform if a person hits it lessening the damage to them. Its all about force and how much energy is in the impact etc etc So yeah low speed and the cover comes off worse than a person, i bet if i looked at the Mokka parts list its identical. Just a large cover infront of a bar.
My point is its not very far to that bar so your going to get a whack either way tested to whatever they test them or not, at least if you hit a bull bar square on the force is distributed. Oh well, im sure if they were that bad they would be illegal no?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just trying to protect my car. Sorry that I appeared to have upset some.
In a low speed accident Bull Bars are more likely to increase damage to a vehicle by being pushed back into the bodywork and may make a low speed accident more costly than not having fitted.

Gov.Uk Guidelines on Bull Bars:
It is not illegal for vehicles to be fitted with bull bars, although the department would not recommend their fitment unless it has been shown, through compliance with specified safety standards, that they do not pose an additional risk of injury to pedestrians or other vulnerable road users.
Since 25 May 2007, it has been an offence for bull bars that have not been approved as compliant with those safety standards to be sold. Approved devices will carry an indelible ‘e’ mark (for example: e1 01 1471).

So if you do choose to fit a set make sure they are type approved. But if you really want to protect your vehicle as well as pedestrians and you have parking sensors I would suggest you'd be better leaving as is.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I will try to be constructive rather than tell you it'll be the end of the world if you fit one. If you don't want to read all of it go to the last two paragraphs, it might help.

Proper bull bars are a bit like tow bars in the fact that if someone carelessly parks either front or rear there's a good chance your vehicle will come off none the worse. The original ones were definitely not pedestrian friendly but they weren't designed to be but to stop impact damage from large animal strikes on unlit roads at night.

The main trouble with the old bull bars, and tow bars to a certain extent, is that they are bolted directly to the chassis thus negating any energy absorbing crumple zones designed into the vehicle. In the case of a heavy head on collision your body would be severely damaged both internally and externally by the extreme deceleration that normally would have been absorbed to a major extent by the crumple zones. There is also the risk of the air bags not deploying properly due to their sensors not receiving correct inputs.

More recent bars are more of a design exercise and made mainly of soft foam that will easily deform in case of a pedestrian strike and will have minimal effect on the the built in safety features.

As to the original question I don't know the answer but if it were me I would try mocking up with bits of cardboard where the bars would be close to the sensors and see if they are triggered.

Let us know how you get on, and I for one would like to see the finished result if you go ahead.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will try to be constructive rather than tell you it'll be the end of the world if you fit one. If you don't want to read all of it go to the last two paragraphs, it might help.

Proper bull bars are a bit like tow bars in the fact that if someone carelessly parks either front or rear there's a good chance your vehicle will come off none the worse. The original ones were definitely not pedestrian friendly but they weren't designed to be but to stop impact damage from large animal strikes on unlit roads at night.

The main trouble with the old bull bars, and tow bars to a certain extent, is that they are bolted directly to the chassis thus negating any energy absorbing crumple zones designed into the vehicle. In the case of a heavy head on collision your body would be severely damaged both internally and externally by the extreme deceleration that normally would have been absorbed to a major extent by the crumple zones. There is also the risk of the air bags not deploying properly due to their sensors not receiving correct inputs.

More recent bars are more of a design exercise and made mainly of soft foam that will easily deform in case of a pedestrian strike and will have minimal effect on the the built in safety features.

As to the original question I don't know the answer but if it were me I would try mocking up with bits of cardboard where the bars would be close to the sensors and see if they are triggered.

Let us know how you get on, and I for one would like to see the finished result if you go ahead.
Hi all Mokka lovers. Sorry for the late reply but been very busy, Hope you are all safe and well. Decided not to fit the bars and my wife told me not to be so precious over my new car!! I MUST comply!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi all Mokka lovers. Sorry for the late reply but been very busy, Hope you are all safe and well. Decided not to fit the bars and my wife told me not to be so precious over my new car!! I MUST comply!!
I hope that I can still be a member of your club?

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
I doubt anybody would object, so welcome and keep contributing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to you all for your comments, I really appreciate them. I have decided not to fit the bars due to your input. Our Mokka's are a great looking SUV and I agree that it would negate from their beauty! A great club.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts