Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have had the letter 2015 1.7 Diesel auto trans. Not had the update done yet. As it is uk winter still so not hot and not had any brake light issues. Sounds like some are having actual issues with brakes not just the light and not because it is hot is that the case?

·
Super Moderator
10,171 Posts
Both Brake Recall threads now merged.

Reactions: MokkTheWeek

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took my Mokka in 3 weeks ago for the software update and was told it is just for the brake servo software to give you a warning light when it sticks.. since I had it done the engine now misfires regularly especially when cold or idling and also at speed on a long run. Local dealer doesn’t want to know about it. I have registered for the ‘diesel gate’ thing and was told the recall possibly includes resetting the chip to delete that issue. Has anyone else had a problem since the update?

·
Super Moderator
10,171 Posts
I took my Mokka in 3 weeks ago for the software update and was told it is just for the brake servo software to give you a warning light when it sticks.. since I had it done the engine now misfires regularly especially when cold or idling and also at speed on a long run. Local dealer doesn’t want to know about it. I have registered for the ‘diesel gate’ thing and was told the recall possibly includes resetting the chip to delete that issue. Has anyone else had a problem since the update?
Who supplied that information or is it just gossip?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Who supplied that information or is it just gossip?
I looked up my Vauxhall diesel claim and put my info into Slater & Gordon Solicitors.. went through the process then they had a load of info which included a bit about the brake recall being part of the diesel emissions thing they are looking in to.. they said to hang on to the letter no matter if you have had the update or not

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just spent a few minutes upside down looking at the brake pedal on my Mokka to see what might stick and keep the brake light on. Did some tests and there is very little movement before the switch No 5 on this drawing PEDALS AND FIXINGS (7zap.com) activates and the light comes on. If for any reason the pedal did not fully return the light would remain on. If it did happen I would think you could turn it off by pulling the pedal up with your foot. Maybe the servo is not pushing hard back when hot sometimes? I don't think the brake operation to stop the car is at all affected (but don't take my word for that).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just spent a few minutes upside down looking at the brake pedal on my Mokka to see what might stick and keep the brake light on. Did some tests and there is very little movement before the switch No 5 on this drawing PEDALS AND FIXINGS (7zap.com) activates and the light comes on. If for any reason the pedal did not fully return the light would remain on. If it did happen I would think you could turn it off by pulling the pedal up with your foot. Maybe the servo is not pushing hard back when hot sometimes? I don't think the brake operation to stop the car is at all affected (but don't take my word for that).
We have had this issue on and off for a few yrs (Mokka x 4x4 diesel), its as though the servo isn't fully disengaged and continues breaking. Pull the pedal back up with your toe and it clears. Put it then happens every time you break.
It only happens when the cab was warm. We told told our local garage (vauxhall dealer) every time it went for service and it never happened for them.
So when this recall happened we was pleased as we thought finally it will get sorted. It went in 4 weeks ago for the update. Within 30mins of picking the car up the warning light came on. My wife took it straight back and told them. We haven't seen the car since! The garage says the servo needs replacing and currently has 3 peoples cars including ours sat there waiting for parts (apparently no parts available in the uk). Vauxhall are apparently going to sort us another car until its fixed so the garage can have there courtesy car back. But we will see.
Funny thing is myself and my father in law both have a petrol Mokka and no issues.
I think this is a much bigger problem then Vauxhall are admitting to at the moment.

·
Registered
43 Posts
We have had this issue on and off for a few yrs (Mokka x 4x4 diesel), its as though the servo isn't fully disengaged and continues breaking. Pull the pedal back up with your toe and it clears. Put it then happens every time you break.
It only happens when the cab was warm. We told told our local garage (vauxhall dealer) every time it went for service and it never happened for them.
So when this recall happened we was pleased as we thought finally it will get sorted. It went in 4 weeks ago for the update. Within 30mins of picking the car up the warning light came on. My wife took it straight back and told them. We haven't seen the car since! The garage says the servo needs replacing and currently has 3 peoples cars including ours sat there waiting for parts (apparently no parts available in the uk). Vauxhall are apparently going to sort us another car until its fixed so the garage can have there courtesy car back. But we will see.
Funny thing is myself and my father in law both have a petrol Mokka and no issues.
I think this is a much bigger problem then Vauxhall are admitting to at the moment.
Interesting, Thank you for this detailed report on the issue. Has the petrol engine got a vacuum pump or is it like most drawing it's brake servo vacuum from the intake manifold? If so there is the issue the diesel vacuum pump is a constant vacuum the inlet manifold is only a high vacuum when the throttle is closed and the vehicle decelerates. The valve on the servo could be sticky on the petrol engine as well but as soon as the revs drop and the throttle is pressed no vacuum available to hold the servo valve. Well that's my theory on it anyway.

I have been putting off booking my car in for the ECU programming mainly because I have and still are keeping away from mixing with anyone due to Covid. Now I have this new information I will contact them and have it done unless anyone has any other horror stories about this?

It would be really good to have some comments from those who have had the servo changed. How the car is running and the brakes are operating post the work being completed.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Inlet manifold vacuum is great for powering brakes as nobody but a fool would be pumping the brakes with the throttle wide open, not so good for powering wipers like some old car manufacturers found out, hard throttle = no wipers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting, Thank you for this detailed report on the issue. Has the petrol engine got a vacuum pump or is it like most drawing it's brake servo vacuum from the intake manifold? If so there is the issue the diesel vacuum pump is a constant vacuum the inlet manifold is only a high vacuum when the throttle is closed and the vehicle decelerates. The valve on the servo could be sticky on the petrol engine as well but as soon as the revs drop and the throttle is pressed no vacuum available to hold the servo valve. Well that's my theory on it anyway.

I have been putting off booking my car in for the ECU programming mainly because I have and still are keeping away from mixing with anyone due to Covid. Now I have this new information I will contact them and have it done unless anyone has any other horror stories about this?

It would be really good to have some comments from those who have had the servo changed. How the car is running and the brakes are operating post the work being completed.
I was told it was a brake servo or break boost I think they said and the dash etc would be coming out as its located behind the panels. I'm not a car man at all, but that seems a daft place it to be located really.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you kneel down and look under the dash at the brake pedal mechanism the rubber bellows bit is the end of the booster / servo (same thing), The rest of it is in the engine compartment. The bolts holding it in are behind the dash but to remove it you must make space behind the engine. I'm not sure how much has to be dismantled to get it out.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
If you kneel down and look under the dash at the brake pedal mechanism the rubber bellows bit is the end of the booster / servo (same thing), The rest of it is in the engine compartment. The bolts holding it in are behind the dash but to remove it you must make space behind the engine. I'm not sure how much has to be dismantled to get it out.
Have you looked in the engine compartment and identified the servo?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Have you looked in the engine compartment and identified the servo?
Well that's a new one on me the brake servo is in fact inside the car behind the big plastic pedal box. Only the master cylinder is the other side of the bulkhead in the engine compartment, I stand corrected. There I am stupidly thinking old school design. Lets hope we don't get a messy technician doing the change and ****ing the inside of the car up.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
It's not just the mess to worry about, look at the number of complaints about electrical faults after its been done.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Sounds like your brake pedal doesn't stick? In that case I wouldn't have it done, surprised PSA are going to all this expense though, more like them to hook a bungie cord between pedal and front seat :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
In that case I think I will hang fire for a while. I wonder if there is a date by which you have to respond to the recall letter to get the work completed FOC and also can you get the servo changed without having the ECU update?

41 - 60 of 62 Posts