Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the dealership doesn't know (no surprises there) I was wondering if anyone on here has experienced the same issue. I understand the brake regen is used to recharge the battery while slowing down or coasting downhill but it also appears to slow the car while driving. To explain: With brake regen on (B button) and I am driving up a gentle hill at a slow speed (10/20 mph) with the power indicator around 1 third of the way into the "eco" section and I turn the B regen off the car surges forward with no change in accelerator position. It feels driving with the handbrake on in an older car and then releasing it while driving. Does this mean the regen is working while the car is using power to drive the vehicle? I am no expert but this seems counterproductive - the brake regen slowing the car (and using extra power/battery) when driving slowly.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Sounds just like the EVs at work the Nissans. Sounds like you need to learn about it yourself, so I’d just google it and read up. I turn it off when I want to go faster but then back on again when I’m on sites and in built up areas.

·
Administrator
10,547 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for this - a one line quote from the article: When you lift your foot off the accelerator pedal and onto the brake, the motor swaps directions and starts to put energy back into the battery.

My point is that the regen seems to be slowing the car even when needing the motor/battery to drive the car forward. My foot is still pressing on on the accelerator pedal and the regen is working against it.

Maybe there is some clever science behind it that this is the most efficient way that I simply don't know about.

Thanks for the link :)

·
Administrator
10,547 Posts
As Dog_Book said, you will need to learn what is suitable for you in all situations, whether it be on/off. I look forward to updates as your experience develops.

Reactions: Andreswa

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Thanks for this - a one line quote from the article: When you lift your foot off the accelerator pedal and onto the brake, the motor swaps directions and starts to put energy back into the battery.
That quote would suggest regenerative overrun, it does not imply any energy used for braking is recovered, only that energy is recovered from the braking effect of the motor, seems the term regenerative braking is being misused?

·
Administrator
10,547 Posts
It states "The electric motor in your hybrid or electric car runs in two directions - one to drive the wheels and move the car, and the other to recharge the battery. When you lift your foot off the accelerator pedal and onto the brake, the motor swaps directions and starts to put energy back into the battery" as in most explanations I have read.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Yes I read the article, and understand how removing your foot from the accelerator will slow the car and produce a charge, but regenerative braking is something different, it uses charging devices on each wheel, when the brakes are pressed, the kinetic energy that's normally lost to friction and heat is absorbed by the chargers and sent to the battery.

On electric cars braking has the opposite effect, with your foot off the accelerator the car is producing a charge and will continue to produce a charge until the car nearly stops, on pressing the brake pedal the car is slowed by friction, and the energy that could have been used for charging is lost to heat, I'm not suggesting not pressing the brakes is an option, it's just the terminology that seems misleading.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts