Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh dear....... I think I may have encountered a design fault that is pretty much going to render the rear windows useless. Yesterday whilst travelling on the A64 (approx 60mph) I needed to open a rear window to let some fresh air into the car. (My old man had eaten a chicken madras the night before)
What happened than was extremely weird to say the least. The air coming into the car was rebounding of something, possibly rear parcel shelf creating what I can only describe as a pulsating sound that increased rapidly to the point where it became painful of the ears.
I am intrigued to know if any other owners have encountered this bizarre noise and if so have they found a cure?
No passengers were in the rear of the car at the time.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Have this in many cars. It's like your in a pulsating wind tunnel. Fup fup fup fup sound. Usealy only happens when you open back window and the front window.

Do a google. Pulsating wind noise in car. You will see how common it really is.

Andy

·
Registered
633 Posts
I've had this in many cars . 'Er indoors is a smoker, open back windows and the air come in but has nowhere to go, open one of the front ones a crack and the air can pass through taking any unwanted smells with it.

·
Registered
584 Posts
The design of modern cars is that you dont need to open the windows paticularly when your doing a medium speed to change the air, use the air system controls for the car with the fan and if that doesnt work change the partner!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yeah, I get this all the time - the hubby curry problem & the pulsating wind through open windows!

In my Honda FR-V its not a problem at low speeds but above c.50mph the pulsations if any of the windows are openhurtour ears. So we just shut the windows & use the air con/blower.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Or adjust the speed. The faster you go the better lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Goodness me I am amazed that this is a common issue as none of my previous cars did this. I think the other solution not yet mentioned will be a cork for my old man whenever I give him a lift anywhere. He tried blamining it on the heated seats!!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Or ban him from the car - can't have your Mokka being sullied like that!

·
Registered
339 Posts
If the air inside your Mokka smells bad, imagine what he's doing to the upholstery of the seats.....

I've not yet experienced the wind noise problem in my Mokka although I did experience it in my previous, Zafira.

Enjoy your Mokka.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Experienced this to-day , had to ferry my sister to recover her broken qashqai
and, her being a smoker , I decided to open a rear window at around 45 m.p.h. to let the fog out and the ensuing noise made me wonder if I was being followed by a U.F.O !! , Iincreased the speed to 50+ and my ears began to bleed....incredible , in 47 years of driving I have never experienced anything like this before , I was almost at the point of driving to the stealer to let him have a listen but decided to search this forum first to make sure I was not about to make myself look a prat , gladI did now
, just goes to show yer never to owd to learn
Edited by: nikkko

·
Registered
258 Posts
HI there nikkko and all the wind sufferers treat yourselves to a set of Hela wind deflectors you drive without any problems with the windows open all the time. They look good too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You will get this effect in most cars. I found that opening a front and rear window on opposite sides of the car helps to reduce the problem.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I noticed this the other night too. Opening both back windows and driving at 60+ mph is deafening and really quite painful. The only way you can have the back windows open is to open a front window slightly too. I think it's an air pressure thing caused by the shape of the car. It's a shame as I also had a smell in my car and I thought that opening the back windows would circulate the air without making it too cold.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I know that there are some with wind deflectors fitted. Can any of those with them fitted say whether they cure the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I fitted tinted wind deflectors from 'team' Heko search ebayThey only cost £25 for all four, simple to fit.
During a trip from portsmouth to Norfolk 'her indoors' was sat in the back and opened the back windows everytime for a cig, as did I in the front.
So in the 3.5 hours driving, every combination of front and rear windows , open/closed would have been used, Only the tyre noise is heard especially over road surface fillings which sounds like the tyres slapping the road.
tyres at 40PSI all round with full tank and fully loaded.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts