Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice would be appreciated. We picked up car yesterday and its a 1.7 CDTi. I've never had a car with start/ stop and 4 times today when going around corners in 2nd gear the engine has cut out. I don't want to embarrass my new lovely mokka by not driving it correctly!! Is this the start/stop working cause thought it only kicked in when car is stationary?

·
Registered
264 Posts
LOL i have done this a couple of times as well coming from a 2l diesel Insignia the 17 is a bit tinny compared to the Siggy. The Siggy was built a more refined engine and never had a problem i suppose will have to take care in second when dropping it try and keep the revs up a bit more find it helps.
Edited by: FX_Red

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had this when I took a 1.7 for a test drive. (No cutting out on the 1.6 petrol I test drove). As I'm used to petrol cars I tend to cruise in 2nd gear rather than dropping into first. The dealer on the test drive said the diesel will prefer going into 1st - try that & see if it sorts the problem out.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Never had a problem when I had my test drive in the diesel variant, then again I am used to driving a diesel.
Just give a few more revs or if going round a tight corner put it into a lower gear. You will soon get used to it. Edited by: Mokkadna

·
Registered
42 Posts
My Mokka stalls in second. Disconcerting it is too because it tends to be in traffic at a junction or just after.

It is normal for diesels which don't rev as highly as other cars and it hashappenedto me in my previous cars.

The BMW that I had used to restart automatically if it stalled. The Mokka doesn't.

Overall the Mokka is the second best car that I have had, enjoyment wise, even if it is rough around a couple of edges. I get a new company car every two years and have done for the last 20. The best cost twice as much as the Mokka in 2007!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Best if u try and put it in first when breaking heavy for a corner as this seemed to stall the motor as i have found out. Like they say practice makes perfect lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really appreciate all the speedy responses. My hubby was laughing at my terrible driving until he got in and did exactly the same! Lol. Then obviously it was the mokkas fault, couldn't possibly be his driving!!
I'll try and keep the revs high and drop the gear. Will just take a little getting used to driving a diesel. Gotta say that its much quieter than i expected.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
With my petrol loving ways I find it remarkably easy to stall diesels. At least with start/stop you only have to do the clutch pedal to get it back.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Same here, exactly the same stalling problem as you and my first diesel too. I also think the engines are a very tight when new which doesn't help. Be assured you will get used to it with practice, it took me about 400 or 500 miles and now no stalling at all. Good luck

·
Registered
85 Posts
Now done 900 miles and no stalling issues at all. I also have the 1.7 4x4. However I have always had diesels so I am used to them! Xx

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hopefully it is a case of getting used to the car and not an issue with the engine!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've had a similar issue sometimes but as was hinted at in an earlier post, if you dip the clutch the engine should restart.

·
Registered
124 Posts
When I get mine tomorrow I think I will just turn the stop/start off

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wecko that's exactly what my hubby said! He's gonna turn off the Eco when he's driving. I'm gonna keep it on and try my best to get used to it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wecko, what are doing still up at this time? You should be asleep dreaming about tomorrow, lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
P.s wecko - enjoy picking up the car tomorrow. I reckon you'll be grinning like an idiot all the way home from the dealers!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Its the power steering. I have a 2.0T petrol Insignia and if using steering at low speeds it will stall if the revs are to low. I learnt this on my advanced driving test when I stalled the car whilst turning around in the road. This is what the police driving examiner told me anyway.

I passed the test by the way.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Wecko, The stalling has nothing to do with whether the Stop/Start is on or off, it simply appears to be a "feature" of a relatively small diesel engine that needs to keep the revs up a bit. The advantage of having the stop/start active is that simply dipping the clutch will restart the engine when it does stall. I've driven diesel vehicles of all sorts for years and they're all easier to stall than a petrol engine but the Mokka does seem to have a penchant for stalling in corners. I've got it sorted now and just try an not let the revs drop too much.

Hope you're enjoying the car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I found thisto benormal. I did it for the first 1,000 miles until I got used to it.

My worstwas coming out of the Dartford Tunnel tolls, coasted through with a dipped clutch and then tried to pull away in second and stalled. Very embarrasing with a queue of traffic behind me.

Now I go through in first and have no problems.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts