Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner
81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Mokka 1.2 Auto Launch Edition
84 Posts
@NeoMorph Well, that answers why I couldn’t have a heated steering wheel 🤪

The ‘missing’ heated steering wheel is the only thing our Launch Edition hasn’t got that I really miss from our old (18 plate) Mokka x. I didn’t realise it uses the same electrics as the ‘flappy paddles’ did. Thanks for the definitive answer on that one (y)

Just to add…we’ve had our new Mokka since the end of July and are both very pleased with it 🤩

Andy
I don’t know exactly how true it is but that is what the salesman who sorted out my LE told me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Looks nice but still not want one .dont like the smalll 3 cylinder turbo .its a Peugeot with a Vauxhall badge
Only just spotted this comment while looking for something else.

I have been honestly surprised at how punchy this new 3 cylinder is (especially when you switch to Sporty Mode)… and the sound from it is a lot nicer than my old Mokka X Elite. It’s a lot quieter too. How they did this with less is beyond me.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Only just spotted this comment while looking for something else.

I have been honestly surprised at how punchy this new 3 cylinder is (especially when you switch to Sporty Mode)… and the sound from it is a lot nicer than my old Mokka X Elite. It’s a lot quieter too. How they did this with less is beyond me.
Yes, it's punchy all rigt. It's also raucuous, high in NVH characteristics and tends to shred its timing belts.

·
Administrator
10,731 Posts
Vauxhall is part of the Stellantis Family which uses platforms, components, and 1.2-litre petrol and a 1.6-litre diesel on many of it's present models.
I'm assuming its been allegedly mentioned on other models/marks this has happened.

·
Registered
84 Posts
We’ll just have to wait and see if it happens to the 2021 Mokka then. You was writing it as if it was already eating timing chains. Remember, this is a lighter chassis so less mass equals less inertial resistance so less stress on the engine due to being designed for electric from the road up.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Three cylinder engines are unbalanced, most need a balance shaft to keep the vibrations down. While most manufacturers have moved away from cam belts because of higher maintenance costs, PSA decided not only to retain them but that they could also run in oil, the result has been belts shredding and crumbling, so that when the belt finally gives up the engine oilways are clogged with bits of degraded rubber, this has been an ongoing problem, the last solution I heard, was a coating on the belt, the result of that will be seen over the coming months and years.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Three cylinder engines are unbalanced, most need a balance shaft to keep the vibrations down.
Interesting… Well the engine and chassis designers did an EXCELLENT job because I keep forgetting to turn off the engine, it’s sooooo smooth.

When I described the car as “punchy” I meant that with one person in the car it’s typical lag in Eco and Normal modes… but in Sport mode it responds almost before you put your foot down.

I’m no pro driver (can only drive Automatic due to my disability) but I actually find this car really enjoyable to drive.

·
Registered
422 Posts
It’s an interesting engine and I'm a bit of an anorak about this kind of stuff. I haven’t been able to see any authorised tech specs about it but from what I understand it has an electronically controlled wastegate turbo (no VNT), 240 bar direct petrol injection and they have now introduced a Gasoline Particulate Filter. Long term it will be interesting to see how the GPF performs and what problems it brings – if it’s anything like the Diesel Particulate Filter then there’ll be plenty.

So long as you enjoy it that’s all that really matters. It’s nice to drive a willing car no matter what size and I find my little 1.4T very willing but I’d like a bigger vehicle and I don’t think I’d like a 3 cylinder engine in, say, a Grandland.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It’s an interesting engine and I'm a bit of an anorak about this kind of stuff. I haven’t been able to see any authorised tech specs about it but from what I understand it has an electronically controlled wastegate turbo (no VNT), 240 bar direct petrol injection and they have now introduced a Gasoline Particulate Filter. Long term it will be interesting to see how the GPF performs and what problems it brings – if it’s anything like the Diesel Particulate Filter then there’ll be plenty.

So long as you enjoy it that’s all that really matters. It’s nice to drive a willing car no matter what size and I find my little 1.4T very willing but I’d like a bigger vehicle and I don’t think I’d like a 3 cylinder engine in, say, a Grandland.
I was watching a YouTube video from an American mechanic and he had to fix the VVT on a “miniature 1.5ltr 4 banger” as he called it. Americans have to have huge displacement engines for their cars and truck just “because”.

Mind you, the mileage they do is freaking crazy compared to what us Brits do. So maybe the large engine is warranted. Made me laugh when he said the 1.5ltr was pretty “anaemic” in the old power band. I just wonder what he would have thought about our tiny 1.2ltr 3 banger. 😳

·
Registered
422 Posts
I was watching a YouTube video from an American mechanic and he had to fix the VVT on a “miniature 1.5ltr 4 banger” as he called it. Americans have to have huge displacement engines for their cars and truck just “because”.

Mind you, the mileage they do is freaking crazy compared to what us Brits do. So maybe the large engine is warranted. Made me laugh when he said the 1.5ltr was pretty “anaemic” in the old power band. I just wonder what he would have thought about our tiny 1.2ltr 3 banger. 😳
Actually they sell the same 1.2 litre engine in the States eg in the Buick Encore

81 - 91 of 91 Posts