Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Mokka e Launch Edition in Mamba Green
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Following on from an earlier post which was aimed at the e it seems more sensible to provide the update in a better part of the forum for any owner of a new Mokka to find, electric or otherwise.
The old post can be viewed here:- New Mokka boot load panel

Taking inspiration from someone else who had made a panel in MDF I found the energy to pull my finger out and make something so I could actually use the boot of my car properly, shame on Vauxhall for not providing their far too weak and overpriced panel to everyone who stumped up the cash, some of us didnt even get a warning triangle but I digress.

Mokka e boot load panel DIY Bodge Job
2 sheets of Proplex from Wickes were used to make the initial template, the material is just about stiff enough but with enough flex to allow for a rough template to be made. 2 sheets allowed the rearmost piece to be slid into position as it was marked and trimmed for a decent fit. Masking tape made the pencil lines easier to see.
The camper van carpet I planned to use (4 way stretch black, sourced from Amazon) is 3mm thick so allowing for that to wrap around the panel the template needs to be quite a loose fit.
I already had a full sheet of 5.5mm thin ply so I cut off a third (ish) to give me an 800x1220mm piece to work with.
I drew around the rough (Proplex) template using 2 of the straight edges of the plywood one for the left hand side and one for the innermost edge (towards the front of the car).I used some coins and a small glass to more accurately draw some of the curves. I then used some power tools so I could muck it up quicker and hacked out the shape just outside of my pencil lines.
A bit of sanding later and I had a reasonable ply template which can be used to transfer the shape to a 12mm piece of exterior ply supplied in the correct size which then just needs the corners to be shaped. The plan is that if the 12mm isn’t sturdy enough it can be braced with something or a frame can be made to support it allowing for stuff underneath to be better protected.
A local supplier can supply the exterior grade (or marine) ply in 12mm x 988mm x 624mm with nice straight, crisp edges.
I used a few small panel pins to attach the template with the edges flush and routed around the corners of it to produce the panel in 12mm. Then I gave the new panel two coats of varnish to seal it against moisture with the hope of it outlasting the car.
The 3mm van carpet I bought from a supplier on Amazon with 1 can of trimfix was probably the best thing to use but it had a few holes in it and they were playing silly buggers replacing it so I bought something a little thicker which fitted OK. The downside is that the thicker material marks more easily as can be seen in the photo.
I used a piece of 550lb Paracord to make a handle as I decided it would be the most robust and cheapest option having read shed loads of stuff about handles from various cars failing and some were really very expensive.
The panel fits well, even in the lower position and I had considered putting some ribbed rubber on the reverse in case I wanted to put something in there which was damp. In the meantime, it will do and I can confirm that the charging cable in its case (as supplied with the Mokka e) does just about fit underneath the panel.
To save people a load of aggravation I have produced a pdf document which will allow them (or me in the future) to make a template very quickly and cheaply if they can use a printer. I’m happy to email a copy to anyone who asks.
The cost for materials, even with buying some things that were not used and material to make the template was well under £50 if you only pay for the stuff you’re going to use and already have brushes and sandpaper etc. it’ll be a lot less.

Grey Road surface Floor Asphalt Flooring

Product Bag Textile Grey Luggage and bags

I have other pictures but didn't think adding too many would benefit anyone but can post a pic of the templates and panel before covering if anyone really wants them.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone, somewhere.

Gaz

·
Registered
2021 Mokka e ultimate in black
2 Posts
Following on from an earlier post which was aimed at the e it seems more sensible to provide the update in a better part of the forum for any owner of a new Mokka to find, electric or otherwise.
The old post can be viewed here:- New Mokka boot load panel

Taking inspiration from someone else who had made a panel in MDF I found the energy to pull my finger out and make something so I could actually use the boot of my car properly, shame on Vauxhall for not providing their far too weak and overpriced panel to everyone who stumped up the cash, some of us didnt even get a warning triangle but I digress.

Mokka e boot load panel DIY Bodge Job
2 sheets of Proplex from Wickes were used to make the initial template, the material is just about stiff enough but with enough flex to allow for a rough template to be made. 2 sheets allowed the rearmost piece to be slid into position as it was marked and trimmed for a decent fit. Masking tape made the pencil lines easier to see.
The camper van carpet I planned to use (4 way stretch black, sourced from Amazon) is 3mm thick so allowing for that to wrap around the panel the template needs to be quite a loose fit.
I already had a full sheet of 5.5mm thin ply so I cut off a third (ish) to give me an 800x1220mm piece to work with.
I drew around the rough (Proplex) template using 2 of the straight edges of the plywood one for the left hand side and one for the innermost edge (towards the front of the car).I used some coins and a small glass to more accurately draw some of the curves. I then used some power tools so I could muck it up quicker and hacked out the shape just outside of my pencil lines.
A bit of sanding later and I had a reasonable ply template which can be used to transfer the shape to a 12mm piece of exterior ply supplied in the correct size which then just needs the corners to be shaped. The plan is that if the 12mm isn’t sturdy enough it can be braced with something or a frame can be made to support it allowing for stuff underneath to be better protected.
A local supplier can supply the exterior grade (or marine) ply in 12mm x 988mm x 624mm with nice straight, crisp edges.
I used a few small panel pins to attach the template with the edges flush and routed around the corners of it to produce the panel in 12mm. Then I gave the new panel two coats of varnish to seal it against moisture with the hope of it outlasting the car.
The 3mm van carpet I bought from a supplier on Amazon with 1 can of trimfix was probably the best thing to use but it had a few holes in it and they were playing silly buggers replacing it so I bought something a little thicker which fitted OK. The downside is that the thicker material marks more easily as can be seen in the photo.
I used a piece of 550lb Paracord to make a handle as I decided it would be the most robust and cheapest option having read shed loads of stuff about handles from various cars failing and some were really very expensive.
The panel fits well, even in the lower position and I had considered putting some ribbed rubber on the reverse in case I wanted to put something in there which was damp. In the meantime, it will do and I can confirm that the charging cable in its case (as supplied with the Mokka e) does just about fit underneath the panel.
To save people a load of aggravation I have produced a pdf document which will allow them (or me in the future) to make a template very quickly and cheaply if they can use a printer. I’m happy to email a copy to anyone who asks.
The cost for materials, even with buying some things that were not used and material to make the template was well under £50 if you only pay for the stuff you’re going to use and already have brushes and sandpaper etc. it’ll be a lot less.

View attachment 1842
View attachment 1843

I have other pictures but didn't think adding too many would benefit anyone but can post a pic of the templates and panel before covering if anyone really wants them.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone, somewhere.

Gaz
Hi Gaz would love a copy of the pdf. Michael

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Gaz would love a copy of the pdf. Michael
PM sent to you with attachment..

Out of interest I eventually found a picture which at least gives an idea of what the handle looks like on the manufacturers panel.
The thing I bought for a Jetta is similar but appears to be for a thickness of 18mm and is single sided. The idea of making a panel that has a wet and a dry side would need a handle that works from both sides so maybe a hole big enough for a couple of fingers would be the neatest solution.
It would be interesting to see what others come up with.

Attachments

·
Registered
Mokka 2021
3 Posts
Looks like you did great job, looking very good! Nice.

BTW if you or anyone for some reason need some measurements of original cover thing, i have it in my car, so i am more than happy to take any measurements if anyone needs them, just let me know.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like you did great job, looking very good! Nice.

BTW if you or anyone for some reason need some measurements of original cover thing, i have it in my car, so i am more than happy to take any measurements if anyone needs them, just let me know.
Hi,
Thanks,
it would be great to know the thickness width and depth just for comparison.
I imagine from what I have read elsewhere that it's some sort of polywhatsisname material which to buy in the size needed would be fairly expensive. but the thickness would govern how it lines up with the seat backs when down.
for me the 12mm ply lined up pretty well but someone might feel more comfortable using something the correct thickness whatever that might be.
ultimately the actual shape, curves and angles would be hugely beneficial but that would take a number of sheets of paper with the panel being drawn around then numbered up and scanned which is too much to ask anyone to do. After all it hides away in the boot and is rarely seen in detail.
I spent enough time making the template as good a fit while being easy enough to remove without it grazing or jambing, the few mm gaps at the rear seemed to help the panel fit in the lower position but if someone is really fussy they might want to go the extra mile and strive for perfection.
I have been considering something with trap doors, by removing the compressor and tyre gunge kit there is a nice bit of space for the charging cable connectors so that would maximise how much can go underneath the panel. a trap door to access the cable and a smaller one for the tyre kit would mean minimum unconvienience to get at these things quickly but then it's a whole load of work to save a few minutes once in a blue moon.

In any event, thanks for the input.

Gaz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts