Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having ordered this car for my wife on the basis on a very good business hire contract. I'm now having some serious concerns after reading some reviews especially the top gear magazine who has revied the exact car . To say they hated it is a bit of an understatement. With the main contention being the noisy everything including the engine. I spoke to a vauxhall dealer today who said its the same engine as all the vauxhall range and never had any complaints. So basically just trying to find out if anyone has experience with this engine. My heartbeat is telling me to cancel order but my head is telling me for £200pm and minimal deposit. I should go ahead. I know a test drive will reveal all

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Yes it's the same 1.7, maybe everyone has got their panties in a bunch because you're more on top of it or the body shape doesn't deaden the noise as much. There is a new 1.6 diesel coming at some much later date. The diesel demonstrators aren't at dealers yet but should start cropping up soon in the next few weeks. Contact your dealer to see when they're getting theirs or book yourself on one of the fast forward Vauxhall events.

·
Administrator
254 Posts
Why not get a test drive booked in for a 1.7 Zafira or Astra instead? Just to get a bit of a feel for the engine and noise... I know it won't be exact but might help.

I wonder if they have skimped on the sound deadening material or something? You could buy some aftermarket if they have;http://www.noisekiller.co.uk/materials.asp

·
Registered
4 Posts
<!--if gte mso 9>
<w:Word>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:ApplyBreakingRules/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
<w:UseFELayout/>
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:Word>
<!-->

I have recently test driven a Mokka 1.7 diesel SE with
manual gearbox.

I had decided that the car that I wanted was the Mokka 1.7
diesel automatic with Tech Line trim (if you do not need finance, a very cost
effective trim). However the reviews about the noise and lack of refinement
were putting me off. I currently drive a Honda Civic 2.2 diesel with manual 6
speed gearbox.

These are my findings

Engine Pulled as
well as my Honda though 500cc smaller. I did not find it any noisier than the
Honda. I did not get on the motorway and up to 70mph, but I revved it up to 3000
revs on the gear changes and it was fine.

The engine is flexible pulled quite happily at 40mph in 6th
gear, you could also miss out gears (ie 3rd straight to 5th) with no problems.

Ride quality Good
better than the Honda,the seats are also nice and comfortable.

Driving Easy to
drive. Accurate responsive steering, nice high driving position good visibility,
even at the rear (though compared to my Honda any rear vision would be good).
You can also see some of the bonnet from the driving seat

Build quality Seems
well put together, no rattles or thumps

On the strength of the test drive I have ordered a Mokka 1.7
diesel automatic with Tech Line trim. Should get it at the end of February.

I think a lot of the problem with professional reviewers is
that they are used to test driving £50000 plus
vehicles and find ordinary vehicles don't meet their elevated standards.

<!--if gte mso 10>

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}

<!-->

·
Registered
506 Posts
A very reassuring review Plug, especially your views on the 1.7 engine. Having owned a Honda CRV which I believe has the same engine as the Civic this is good news as far as I am concerned

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mags like what car ,which ,top gear sell mags not cars their reviews donot do the car justice I have the se 1.7 it's not noisy nor is there wind noise great car get a test drive most dealers should have a 1.7 cd to 130 ps to drive so get a test drive booked see for yourself .

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hi all,
I've had the 1.7 diesel Mokka on order for some time now and was a little worried about the negative points (especially engine noise) reviewers were giving it. However the forum reviews are very reassuring.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Picked my Mokka 1.7 CDTi SE up yesterday and trust me Kirby you will not be disappointed. It's a great car, much better than my previous 08 Meriva (which I really liked) engine is not noisy, ride and handling are good, and cabin noise is not a problem. You will love it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thanks seamaster, i'm due to trade in my 1.9 Zafira diesel sri in January and can't wait to get behind the wheel of my new Mokka.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts