17K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  orac 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just booked my Mokka into the dealers for a check as the
engine is very noisy, like a bag of proverbial spanners, when cold and
accelerating fairly hard.

Been OK all summer, and using supermarket fuel mainly, then the winter arrived
and the temperature dipped to below 12 Deg C, pulled away as usual quickly and
"CLATTER CLATTER CLATTER", I thought the pistons where going to
depart the engine. I eased off and quiet as the Mokka can be again.

I thought of fuel so run the car down to the "beep beep beep beep"
and filled up with Shell but no change, now on my second full tank of Shell, no change.

The engine is only noisy when cold and working hard, after a mile or so warming
up she's OK.

I'm thinking a fuelling problem as once warmed up, no issues, no power loss, no
vibration etc, on the plus side the fuel economy has hit 67 mpg average, at
around 70 mph on the motorway.

Am I alone with this??

See less See more
#2 ·
Nope, your not alone.
My 1.7 is noisy when the outside temperature is low, as was my previous car, a 1.7 Meriva B.
Using Shell V power helps, as does adding half a cup full of 2 stroke oil to a full tank, using a fuel improver or fuel additive (redex, for example).
Or indeed using all 3, especially if selling the car.

I'm getting 48.9 mpg.

The 1.6 replacement engine is called the Whisper Diesel.

Edited by: TonyP2020

#4 ·
I have the newer 1.6 Whisper Diesel CDTI version Mokka, I had a 2.0 CDTI Insignia before and the Mokka is considerably quieter, I also only use Shell or BP good diesel. My choice and don't use the Supermarket stuff myself. You still know its a diesel but the noise level is not so harsh, also it pulls like a steam train

#9 ·
After 3 visits to the dealer, an amount of p**s taking out of the car by the first mechanic, all caught on the dashcam (lol) a more serious investigation has ensued, together with a change of dealers branch.

Injectors are going on holiday for a wash and brush up tomorrow, if that doesn't cure it Vauxhall will look into whether the next course of action will be covered by the lifetime warrenty.

On the day it went in last, it was 2 deg C outside, the car was unable to be accelerated hard for nearly 10 miles due to the loud clattering noise. I have respectfully requested that vauxhall solve this under warranty, and any subsequent damage that may have occured while waiting for this to be fixed, especuially as I have it in writing that the car is safe to drive.

We shall see what happens over the next couple of days.

Also noted comments that this engine is noisy, that I can accept but this noise is louder than motorhead on steriods and the volume on the CD450 set at 50!!!!!!

#11 ·
I have been surprised by how quiet my 1.7 has been lately in early morning starts, really pleasant to listen too and to drive.
I am now using Fully Synth 2 stroke oil (about 200;1 ratio) and Shell V power diesel.
I think (but have no proof) that this fuel mix lowers the combustion temperature and softens the explosion.
Going slightly off track, one reason for fitting EGR valves to diesel engines is to feed exhaust gases back into the engines to lower the combustion temperatures to reduce pollution.
I have disconnected my EGR valve. Details here
Anyway my fuel consumption is now 49.1 mpg (up from 48.9) and, if anything, I think the power output is either the same or slightly down.
The engine feels softer to drive, and the exhaust note is nice.
The 2 Stroke Oil I am currently using is sold by JAB Spares, in Northampton, and 1L is £8 delivered on ebay.
I only fill the fuel tank to about half full, so that the fuel is fresher, but my normal daily mileage is low so I only go to the fuel station every 7 - 10 days.
In fact I probably should have bought a 1.4 petrol for my usage.
My current mileage is about 28K.

#21 ·
I have been surprised by how quiet my 1.7 has been lately in early morning starts, really pleasant to listen too and to drive.
I am now using Fully Synth 2 stroke oil (about 200;1 ratio) and Shell V power diesel.
I think (but have no proof) that this fuel mix lowers the combustion temperature and softens the explosion.
Going slightly off track, one reason for fitting EGR valves to diesel engines is to feed exhaust gases back into the engines to lower the combustion temperatures to reduce pollution.
I have disconnected my EGR valve. Details here
Anyway my fuel consumption is now 49.1 mpg (up from 48.9) and, if anything, I think the power output is either the same or slightly down.
The engine feels softer to drive, and the exhaust note is nice.
The 2 Stroke Oil I am currently using is sold by JAB Spares, in Northampton, and 1L is £8 delivered on ebay.
I only fill the fuel tank to about half full, so that the fuel is fresher, but my normal daily mileage is low so I only go to the fuel station every 7 - 10 days.
In fact I probably should have bought a 1.4 petrol for my usage.
My current mileage is about 28K.

I use Shell V power diesel, or the BP V power diesel, WORKS GREAT,never use supermarkets, and I get 53 running around, SE 1.7cdti 2013 , engine is very quiet when I start on a cold morning -3 some days.

#13 ·
Whilst I thank those for the idvice on blending deisel with 2 stroke, the point is the car has developed a fault.

My experience so far with the lifetime warranty department is pretty grim, they are trying to worm there way out of any fix, sighting if the injectors are leaking they will not be covered?? Surely a leak in an injector is a failing in itself????

On the other note, will adding, even a tiny amount of two stroke to my tak cause any issues if I am ever dipped by VOSA at the road side.

#14 ·
Hi Kevin,
I posted my post to show that I have experienced similar
problems, on more than one car, to you and your Mokka. Other people have
experienced similar problems, and this problem has appeared on other
forums.
So you are not alone, but your engine problems certainly sound worse than mine ever has.

Can you tell us the car mileage, is the car used daily and if you use a busy fuel station which has a high turn over of fuel?

About
2 stroke oil, I too have thought about what if my car gets dipped by
VOSA, but I have only seen this happen once many many years ago. And 2SO
is indeed red in colour.

I am sure that the clatter is caused by the diesel fuel when the engine is cold.
There are different refiners of diesel fuel, summer and winter blends, supermarket or Premium fuel, and also how much Bio is in with the Dino stuff.
You think one of the injectors may be faulty, but also do the Glow plugs all work OK, and are all the temperature sensors working OK.
All of the above are hard to check without expert help and equipment, and your attempts at getting expert help seems to have had limited success so far.

However you can try adding a small amount of 2SO or try diesel fuel cleaner BG244 to see if it makes any difference.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BG-244-Diesel-Fuel-Cleaner-For-Diesel-Only-325ml-1-x-AR6900-D-Max-100ml/201898569200
As you know, I use 2SO and also have tried BG244 in a previous car, which was running well but slightly lumpy tickover. It worked better afterwards.

#15 ·
Car is fixed, or at least at the moment.

Vauxhall sent the dealers a list of thing to check: -

Injectors where sent to the hospital for checking, came back with a clean bill of health - I suspect because they where cleaned prior to testing.

Fuel tested and found to be contiminated, test involded sniffing, rubbing between fingers and checking sheen of a small sample .....WTF......Wouldn't mind but I have only used Shell for the last 4 tank fulls, if this was contaminated it would have cleared on at least one tank full. Have obtained a small sample and will get tested, PLUS no other reports of issues in the local area.

Fuel filter changed, and confirmed as "completely blocked", this confirmed in an email from Vauxhall central, via the dealers.

Including the MOT the bill came in at over £500, bit annoyed as I feel they should have checked the filter first, and not convinced the original dealer had changed this at the services.

During the whole episode, I felt that Vauxhall and the dealer deliberately led me away from any form of warranty claim.

On a plus note the service manager bent over backwards to assist, and managed to get the bill reduced because of the issues I had experience with the other branch, so God knows what it should have cost.

#16 ·
starlitz said:
... the engine is very noisy, like a bag of proverbial spanners, when cold and
accelerating fairly hard. ... <!--if gte mso 9>
<w:Word>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:TrackMoves/>
<w:Trackatting/>
<w:punctuationKerning/>
<w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/>
<w:SaveIfInvalid>false</w:SaveIfInvalid>
<w:IgnoreMixed>false</w:IgnoreMixed>
<w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
<w:DonotPromoteQF/>
<w:LidThemeOther>EN-GB</w:LidThemeOther>
<w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian>
<w:LidThemeComplex>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplex>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
<w:DontGrowAutofit/>
<w:SplitPgBreakAndark/>
<w:EnableKerning/>
<w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/>
<w:OverrideTableStyleHps/>
</w:Compatibility>
<m:mathPr>
<m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/>
<m:brkBin m:val="before"/>
<m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/>
<m:smallFrac m:val="off"/>
<m:dispDef/>
<m:lMargin m:val="0"/>
<m:rMargin m:val="0"/>
<m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/>
<m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/>
<m:intLim m:val="subSup"/>
<m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/>
</m:mathPr></w:Word>
<!--><!--if gte mso 9>
<w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="false" DefSemi="false" DefQat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="375">
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" Qat="true" Name="Normal"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Qat="true" Name="ing 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Qat="true" Name="ing 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Qat="true" Name="ing 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Qat="true" Name="ing 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Qat="true" Name="ing 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Qat="true" Name="ing 7"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Qat="true" Name="ing 8"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Qat="true" Name="ing 9"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="index 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="index 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="index 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="index 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="index 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="index 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="index 7"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="index 8"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="index 9"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="toc 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="toc 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="toc 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="toc 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="toc 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="toc 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="toc 7"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="toc 8"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="toc 9"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Normal Indent"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="footnote text"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="annotation text"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="er"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="footer"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="index ing"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Qat="true" Name="caption"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="table of figures"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="envelope address"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="envelope return"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="footnote reference"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="annotation reference"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="line number"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="page number"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="endnote reference"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="endnote text"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="table of authorities"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="macro"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="toa ing"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List Bullet"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List Number"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List Bullet 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List Bullet 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List Bullet 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List Bullet 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List Number 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List Number 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List Number 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List Number 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" Qat="true" Name="Title"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Closing"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Signature"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name=" Text"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name=" Text Indent"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List Continue"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List Continue 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List Continue 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List Continue 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List Continue 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Message er"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" Qat="true" Name="Subtitle"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Salutation"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Date"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name=" Text First Indent"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name=" Text First Indent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Note ing"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name=" Text 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name=" Text 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name=" Text Indent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name=" Text Indent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Block Text"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Hyper"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="FollowedHyper"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" Qat="true" Name="Strong"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" Qat="true" Name="Emphasis"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name=" "/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Plain Text"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="E-mail Signature"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name=" Top of "/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name=" Bottom of "/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Normal Web"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name=" Acronym"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name=" Address"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name=" Cite"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name=" Code"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name=" Definition"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name=" Keyboard"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name=" Preatted"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name=" le"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name=" r"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name=" Variable"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Normal Table"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="annotation subject"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="No List"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Outline List 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Outline List 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Outline List 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Simple 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Simple 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Simple 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table ic 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table ic 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table ic 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table ic 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Colorful 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Colorful 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Colorful 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Columns 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Columns 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Columns 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Columns 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Columns 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Grid 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Grid 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Grid 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Grid 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Grid 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Grid 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Grid 7"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Grid 8"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table List 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table List 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table List 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table List 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table List 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table List 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table List 7"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table List 8"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table 3D effects 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table 3D effects 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table 3D effects 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Contemporary"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Elegant"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Professional"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Subtle 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Subtle 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Web 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Web 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Web 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Balloon Text"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="Table Grid"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Theme"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" Name="Placeholder Text"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Qat="true" Name="No Spacing"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Name="Light Shading"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Name="Light List"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Name="Light Grid"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Name="Medium Shading 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Name="Medium Shading 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Name="Medium List 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Name="Medium List 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Name="Medium Grid 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Name="Medium Grid 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Name="Medium Grid 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Name="Dark List"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Name="Colorful Shading"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Name="Colorful List"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Name="Colorful Grid"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Name="Light List Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" Name="Revision"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" Qat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" Qat="true" Name="Quote"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" Qat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Name="Light List Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Name="Light List Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Name="Light List Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Name="Light List Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Name="Light List Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" Qat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" Qat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" Qat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" Qat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" Qat="true" Name="Book Title"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Bibliography"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Qat="true" Name="TOC ing"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="41" Name="Plain Table 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="42" Name="Plain Table 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="43" Name="Plain Table 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="44" Name="Plain Table 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="45" Name="Plain Table 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="40" Name="Grid Table Light"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="46" Name="Grid Table 1 Light"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="47" Name="Grid Table 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="48" Name="Grid Table 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="49" Name="Grid Table 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="50" Name="Grid Table 5 Dark"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="51" Name="Grid Table 6 Colorful"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="52" Name="Grid Table 7 Colorful"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="46" Name="Grid Table 1 Light Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="47" Name="Grid Table 2 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="48" Name="Grid Table 3 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="49" Name="Grid Table 4 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="50" Name="Grid Table 5 Dark Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="51" Name="Grid Table 6 Colorful Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="52" Name="Grid Table 7 Colorful Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="46" Name="Grid Table 1 Light Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="47" Name="Grid Table 2 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="48" Name="Grid Table 3 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="49" Name="Grid Table 4 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="50" Name="Grid Table 5 Dark Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="51" Name="Grid Table 6 Colorful Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="52" Name="Grid Table 7 Colorful Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="46" Name="Grid Table 1 Light Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="47" Name="Grid Table 2 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="48" Name="Grid Table 3 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="49" Name="Grid Table 4 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="50" Name="Grid Table 5 Dark Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="51" Name="Grid Table 6 Colorful Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="52" Name="Grid Table 7 Colorful Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="46" Name="Grid Table 1 Light Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="47" Name="Grid Table 2 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="48" Name="Grid Table 3 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="49" Name="Grid Table 4 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="50" Name="Grid Table 5 Dark Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="51" Name="Grid Table 6 Colorful Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="52" Name="Grid Table 7 Colorful Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="46" Name="Grid Table 1 Light Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="47" Name="Grid Table 2 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="48" Name="Grid Table 3 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="49" Name="Grid Table 4 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="50" Name="Grid Table 5 Dark Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="51" Name="Grid Table 6 Colorful Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="52" Name="Grid Table 7 Colorful Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="46" Name="Grid Table 1 Light Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="47" Name="Grid Table 2 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="48" Name="Grid Table 3 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="49" Name="Grid Table 4 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="50" Name="Grid Table 5 Dark Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="51" Name="Grid Table 6 Colorful Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="52" Name="Grid Table 7 Colorful Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="46" Name="List Table 1 Light"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="47" Name="List Table 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="48" Name="List Table 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="49" Name="List Table 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="50" Name="List Table 5 Dark"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="51" Name="List Table 6 Colorful"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="52" Name="List Table 7 Colorful"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="46" Name="List Table 1 Light Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="47" Name="List Table 2 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="48" Name="List Table 3 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="49" Name="List Table 4 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="50" Name="List Table 5 Dark Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="51" Name="List Table 6 Colorful Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="52" Name="List Table 7 Colorful Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="46" Name="List Table 1 Light Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="47" Name="List Table 2 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="48" Name="List Table 3 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="49" Name="List Table 4 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="50" Name="List Table 5 Dark Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="51" Name="List Table 6 Colorful Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="52" Name="List Table 7 Colorful Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="46" Name="List Table 1 Light Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="47" Name="List Table 2 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="48" Name="List Table 3 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="49" Name="List Table 4 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="50" Name="List Table 5 Dark Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="51" Name="List Table 6 Colorful Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="52" Name="List Table 7 Colorful Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="46" Name="List Table 1 Light Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="47" Name="List Table 2 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="48" Name="List Table 3 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="49" Name="List Table 4 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="50" Name="List Table 5 Dark Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="51" Name="List Table 6 Colorful Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="52" Name="List Table 7 Colorful Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="46" Name="List Table 1 Light Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="47" Name="List Table 2 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="48" Name="List Table 3 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="49" Name="List Table 4 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="50" Name="List Table 5 Dark Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="51" Name="List Table 6 Colorful Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="52" Name="List Table 7 Colorful Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="46" Name="List Table 1 Light Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="47" Name="List Table 2 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="48" Name="List Table 3 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="49" Name="List Table 4 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="50" Name="List Table 5 Dark Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="51" Name="List Table 6 Colorful Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="52" Name="List Table 7 Colorful Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Mention"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Smart Hyper"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Hashtag"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Semi="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Unresolved Mention"/>
</w:LatentStyles>
<!--><!--if gte mso 10>

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
line-height:115%;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;
mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

<!-->

I do not doubt the existence of some kind of fault in your car, however "accelerating fairly hard" (or even only hard, without fairly) has never been an... healthy habit with cold diesel engines.

#17 ·
To be fair most mornings I had driven about 1 1/2 miles and this would have been joining a motorway type accelerating, nothing short of what I would expect my car to be able to do. Gone are the days of leaving the car to idle for 3 weeks to warm up!!

#18 ·
Well, leaving the car to idle for a long time has never been a good habit too, even in the past. An idling engine burns very little fuel and so it takes a very long time to warm up, which makes it run "cold" for a quite longer time, especially in winter. Even worse if it's a diesel.
The best practice has always been the same, quite eased on diesels by their great torque at low revs: turn on the engine and then start driving, trying to keep the revs as low as possible until water gets reasonably warm; the ideal situations, from that point of view, are those when you have to drive for a few miles on a slightly uphill road.

I totally agree with you about those so... careful days being gone. Nowadays we are quite more impatient (maybe also because we are/feel richer) and, moreover, an engine is not expected to last long. However engines are still... engines and high revs on a cold engine, despite being maybe more affordable, still are capable of significantly harming an engine's health and efficiency, especially in the long term.

#19 ·
Glad I got a 1.4 turbo as the diesel 1.7 would drive me mad judging by the contents of the previous posts -- historically the 1.7 has always been a noisy motor and there's no way of getting away from that I'm afraid, it's just a noisy engine and you can hear them coming - no matter what you add to the fuel the fact of life is the same -- they are noisy and in there day they where probably acceptable and even then they were outdated Edited by: Brother Leo

#23 ·
that's right, all diesels are bit loader on start up and that's because of more fuel is needed to keep it running when cold.when warm it will be fine, if something is wrong it would be noisy all the time, the only time that it becomes louder is under load.cheap fuel has no additives, v-power does, makes a big difference, and also which oil you use can add to the noise, I use (redline 5w30 euro) expensive, but a great oil, made with POA / ESTER base stock,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.