Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, Im not sure yet which engine its better for me, I believe the petrol engine is the best due my low milage a year but the consuptions on a petrol engine at my eyes are quite high, on paper says 6.5 l/100km, thats on paper in a real world would be like 8 l/100km.
Ive drove the 1.7 Diesel engine on saturday for about 3h and enjoyed a lot, it is a bit "tractor" on low revs espacially on 1st and 2nd gear but apart that seams a great engine with great consuptions. My problem is I just drive about 9000 miles a year, on a daily basis I do 8 miles each way to work with traffic and once a week I do 50 miles on a motorway without traffic which should be fineto avoid problems withthe DPF system...

I would love your coments on this situation plus can anyone tell me the real consuption on the road of the 1.6 Petrol engines... Please.
Sorry my bad English but Im Portuguese.

Thanks

·
Registered
506 Posts
With an annual mileage of 9000, then from an economy point of view you probably won't gain in fuel consumption what you spend extra on the diesel engine compared with the petrol. I average about 7000 miles per year yet I always buy a diesel engined motor purely because I like the low down torque (power if you wish) which really makes the vehicle seem lively. I would suggest try both and go with the one that suits your driving personality. I don't think the economics count in your case.

Just my opinion, others may differ. I don't have my Mokka yet - but it's a diesel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks theforestdweller.
Are you not concerned about the DPF? The manager in the garage Im buying my Mokka says that I will have problems in future with that silly filter, because my journies are not long enough and most time start/stop in traffic.
whats your opinion on that?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I read an article in the Sunday Times driving supplement a while back that suggested to have an advantage of diesel over petrol, annual mileage would have to be over 15K and the majority out of the urban environment.

Personally if I were in your situation badja I'd go for the 1.6 petrol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Squinny.
You are probably right... The only reason I didnt choose the 1.6 Petrol straigth away is Im affraid that engine is maybe to weak for that size car and the 1.4 turbo its to espensive at my eyes. Its £2200 more then the 1.6...

1.6 Pros:
No mess around with DPF
Cheaper £1500

1.7 Diesel Pros:
Low Consuption
CheapRoad Tax, £30
Hold the value better

I dont really know each one should I pick...
HELP, HELP.....

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The 1.4T is the more powerful of the two petrols, it also has AWD as well hence the uplift. If I had a free choice I would have gone for that but a few company things meant it had to be the diesel.

·
Registered
506 Posts
badja said:
Thanks theforestdweller.Are you not concerned about the DPF?
Not in the slightest! My DPF vehicles have been RAV4, CRV, Qashqai, Freetrack and currently my Hyundai iX35. Only ever seen DPF warning once, and that was on my Qashqai. 20 minutes on Motorway in 5th gear to keep the revs up and DPF regeneration complete. That's all it needs - a constant 2500-3000 revs for a short period and all is OK. Most of use will have at least a couple of motorway runs in a year and the DPF regeneration will automatically take place, hence no warnings

·
Registered
145 Posts
A few comparison figures ------- Using the brouchure fuel consumption figures of 43.5mpg for the 1.6 petrol engine & 62.8mpg for the 1.7 deisel --- Using the current price of fuel of £1.33per ltr (£6.01per gall) for petrol & £1.39per ltr (£6.32per gall) for diesel and calculating on 1000 miles per year. The 1.6 petrol would use £138.16 worth of fuel, the 1.7 diesel would use £100.64 worth of fuel saving £37.52. Add to that the saving in road tax of £140 makes a total saving of £177.52 per year.

So for 9000 miles per year the saving would be 9 x £37.52 = £337.68 + tax saving of £140 = £447.68per year. How many years is that to get your money back - 4 ish ??

To be honest I thought it would be longer than that so please feel free and correct me if my figures are wrong, the old grey matter is not what it used to be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts