Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 20 of 555 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Me and my better half bought a 1.6 SE Mokka 2 weeks ago. Took the showrooms only one as we didnt want to wait 3 months to order one. First thoughts are that its a great car with plenty of toys to play with, the Navi 600 system and all the heated seats/wheels and AFL are brilliant little extras. The 1.6 isn't quite as nippy as the 1.4 turbo we test drived but its still a great little runner.

Our only problem is that we have had to take it back to the garage twice because the 'Service AFL' error message has appeared (though the lights are working?) and also the car hasn't started first time on a few occasions. Has anyone else had similar issues??

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I have had issues with this on my current Astra that has the AFL xenon lights on. First happened when the left headlight wouldn't do the normal dance on startup and was stuck pointing up to the far left. According to the handbook when the AFL light comes on it supposed to turn the fog lights on and the misbehaving headlight off but only the AFL light started blinking on the dashboard. It was in for a week where it had the headlight and the control board replaced.

Since then every now and again the AFL light starts flashing, if I stop, turn the engine off and on again the lights do their little dance and the light stays off. When the AFL light starts blinking I don't notice any issue with the lights. I'll mention this to them on its next service in Jan. Let me know how you get on with yours.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi surfield12

We also bought a 1.6 Mokka 3 weeks ago, and your plight is exactly the same as ours except we've had no starting problems.

The first problem was headlight aim, we were getting flashed by virtually every oncoming vehicle, then got into a road rage issue because a car in front thought we were flashing him.

The car went in for this and I was told it would have failed the MOT the way they were aimed, they adjusted the aim and all seemed better for a few days.

Then the real problems started with the 'Service AFL' message this came up and the lights were looking to each side but it was dark in the centre.

It went in yesterday to be fixed and it took all day but they assured us it was fixed, after long conversations with Vauxhall somewhere.

Drove it home from the dealer and to work this morning and it failed again with the same message but the right hand aim was dazzling oncoming vehicles this time.

Took it back today and apparently there are 36 reports of the same problem with the Mokka to Vauxhall.

They now have the car, and have given me a GTC until its sorted, needless to say we have no confidence in the car now and are looking to replace.

Will let you know of any outcome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Skywatcher

Well ours has just come back from Vauxhall this afternoon and we've been told the same thing, endless reports to vauxhall about dodgy AFL and we've been told that we need a new lamp system and control computer? They've ordered the parts and will be installed sometime next week, we have the car back and have been told its OK to drive though i'll definitely be keeping a watchful eye on what the lights are doing. Regarding the false starts they cant find any reason for it and have blamed the cold weather (in a petrol car??)

Have to say the car is nice but it seems like vauxhall have huge problems with reliability? The in laws have a newbuild Astra and Insignia and both have had problems, very disappointed!

·
Registered
24 Posts
We love the car,1.6 SE, but can't risk it because we have to drive down country roads in the dark to and from work at the moment and we feel we are in a potentially dangerous situation when the lights suddenly get a mind of there own.

We expected an update from our dealer this afternoon, on parts and things, when I rang at 17:30 the guy had gone home. Great service to a customer that has bought approx 7 cars there over the last 18 years.

I've got a GTC on order for myself ( the Mokka is the wife's car) that might be changing tomorrow!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Vauxhalls service 'assistants' have a notoriously bad rep and its understandable, they think the wool over eyes or avoidance is good C/Care, hope you all get your issues sorted (and the new ones are fixed by time of delivery)
As for missaiming headlights on delivery, could this not of just been an afl problem from the start?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Could have been a problem from the start that my dealer wasn't aware of, but up to that point there was now warning on the display, they only started after that point.

I'm a bit baffled why the problem seems to be new as the Opel equivalent Mokka has been out for months on the continent, you would have thought any issues would have been sorted by now unless its unique to the Right hand side drive vehicles

Cheers... Edited by: Skywatcher1956

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny you mention the european thing, the first time our Mokka went in the mechanic said the AFL problem had been caused by the system 'forgetting' it was a right hand drive car?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I'm sure there's a way of changing them to driving on the right mode when on the continent but can't remember how you do it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi

I'm having the same issue with the AFL's on mine.
Its comforting to know that I'm not alone with this issue

Also got the same problem of on coming cars flashing me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You change from RHD to LHD by key in ignition, holding main beam on and turning the key to ignition for 3 seconds. Done.

Next time you start yellow warning light flashes 4 times when you start engine.

Tried all these things in desperation believe me.

Cheers

·
Registered
197 Posts
Skywatcher does this mean you've solved everybodies AFL function problemif its worked on your's?
Just hoping mine get sorted before it arrive nearer the late end of March now. Otherwise thanks in advance for when i have to do the set up.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
No he was just answering my question on how you change when on the continent.

·
Registered
94 Posts
this seems a very simple thing to do accidentally when you are not aware of it and could have changed your original RHD setting to LHD ... did all of you keep your beams on at some stage and have the key for 3 secs in ignition? We must all have done that at some time ...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Can categorically say that this is a defective vehicle, along with 36 others so far reported (Dealer told me that....) and possibly others not yet reported and have gone through all the LHD, RHD setting stuff as per manual thinking that was the problem to start with. Anyway that wouldn't give a fault condition on the display if it was the wrong way round, not to mention wayward pointing lights, with a mind of there own.

It would actually be virtually impossible to switch between the two accidentally, and anyway if you did you get a yellow warning light for 4 seconds on startup.

Edited by: Skywatcher1956

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hmm another default discovered then
... Am happy to sit out all the teething problems for now, especially when it concerns safety but then ... I can afford to wait until summer 13 to receive ... with waiting times now 4 months, that should take me to Feb time? #sittingback&relax
... Good luck to all of those who have theirs on the boat ... when it arrrives, it will still have to go into the workshopto get fixed forthis
delaying even more ... anyhoo ... really interested to hear more about the Irmsher trim ... maybe open up a separate conf?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I sent an email to our dealer last night as we are also fed up of being flashed, we also had the scenario of a car in front last night turning its rear fogs on, and lights out as he was being dazzled in the mirrors by our dipped beam. Hope it can be sorted easily, as don't want to be without our Mokka.

·
Registered
24 Posts
lewisflint said:
I sent an email to our dealer last night as we are also fed up of being flashed, we also had the scenario of a car in front last night turning its rear fogs on, and lights out as he was being dazzled in the mirrors by our dipped beam. Hope it can be sorted easily, as don't want to be without our Mokka.
We had all this, a scenario similar with a van in front messing about with rear HI lights on and off and driving into the near side to kick up debris etc, reckon he thought we were flashing him or something, not to mention all the oncoming flashing whilst the fault light was up (and even when it wasn't originally, before the first dealer visit).

Anyway after 2 previous visits to rectify the problem by our dealer the car is now at the dealer and we have a GTC on loan.

Expected a call from dealer on Friday with an update from Vauxhall UK, but nothing.

Wish we'd never heard of a Mokka at this moment in time, and would gladly have our 10 plate Meriva B back, needless to say I've cancelled my GTC order, but my deposit is a long time being refunded. So far with 300 miles on the clock, 100 of these have been done travelling to and fro to our dealer, not good.

We're traveling over Xmas, and kind of hope we can use the GTC, because we have no confidence in taking the Mokka on a long journey north inevitably partially during dark hours.

Regards

Frustrated (Member if the Institute of Advanced Motorists)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Oh heck that's horrible especially the idiot in the van.
Good communication is the key to keeping people happy when dealing with a problem. You might not have the answer but keeping everyone in the loop about what is happening at least lets people know what's going on, you might even find out something key that never was passed on with the initial problem description.

Are you communicating with Vauxhall direct or through the dealer? Might be time for the former?

Edited by: DietCokeBloke

1 - 20 of 555 Posts