Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
I need your help guys... Im looking to buy a new Mokka but im not sure which one should I go for, i have decide that I want the SE version but which engine???
I've been watching some reivews on line and all of them say that the engines are not great.
I do about 9000 miles a year, soI think that is not enough to buy a Diesel car but on the other hand its a better engine and with better comsumptions plus I was thinking in remap my engine so I could get from it 160bhp...

Can I have some opinions on this matter?

Thanks all

·
Registered
169 Posts
Here are some figures that may help you decide:-

1.6SE / Year1 VED £170 / Year2 VED £170 / MPG combined 43.5 / Ins Group 7E
1.7SE / Year1 VED £0 / Year2 VED £30 / MPG combined 62.8 / Ins Group 14E

So disregarding insurance, the savings for 1.7SE are, VED £310 in first 2 years
and 44% more MPG, which if based on 9000 miles is a saving of about £400 per year.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Seamaster.
What is your opinion on the DFP, that silly filter on Diesel cars?
Basicly my driving is during traffic periods and only 8miles each way, Im quite scared to go for the Diesel and after 6moths, 1 year have to get that removed and loose my warranty or get it fixed and spend a fortune...

What do u think?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Diesel was always the option for me, but I do plenty of Motorway driving.
Bare in mind the higher MPG and the Stop/Start option, and the 1.6 appears to be the base engine. The 1.4 turbo for performance, and the 1.7 diesel for economy and environment (120 g/km CO2 for the 2wd manual.)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
If you're limited miles and you want some performance then go for the 1.4T (it's much better than the 1.6) - the bonus is that it's AWD by default.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The diesel filter should last longer if you use non supermarket fuels as the slightly better known brands dont have quite so much particle waste.

You can also improve the use by doing a long run over 20 miles on a due carriageway or motorway which would start the burn off process and clear the filter. Ive been told do do at least one of these longer drives once a month which would help as i dont use the car everyday it wouldnt be too bad.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hi badja,

I've had the 1.7CDTi for 3 weeks,this was the choice for me as I do a 30(ish) mile round trip to work which includes motorway driving. The engine's a little growly but I don't mind this; i've had no experience with the DPF on this model.
However I did experience this problem a number of times on my Zafira which I part-exed for the Mokka. Like others have suggested, every so often I would run the engine a little harder to clean out the filter with no lasting long term effects (serves me right for using supermarket pumps).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Diesel was always the choice for me.

I do an 85 mile round trip everyday on the A12 & M25, so 70 - 80 mph all the way (70 - honest guv
), so hopefully will not have any issues with the DPF.

This is my first diesel owned, but very impressed so far. It does sound a little agricultural at low revs, but once up to speed and cruising in 6th gear there is no difference in noise levels between a petrol or diesel. Just revs are very low at 2,000 and fuel economy is noticeably better at 60 mpg rather than 35 mpg.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Don't forget the Mokka has a DPF cleaning cycle which burn off any contaminants automatically. You do have to watch out for the cycle and ensure you let it finish, but I think this is designed to help smaller mileage driving.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
tetchmeister said:
Don't forget the Mokka has a DPF cleaning cycle which burn off any contaminants automatically. You do have to watch out for the cycle and ensure you let it finish, but I think this is designed to help smaller mileage driving.

Okay how do we watch out for it and what do we have to do to let it finish? keep driving on the motorway?

·
Registered
506 Posts
With mixed driving it is highly likely that you will never see a warning light, the cleaning cycle will just start and finish automatically. If it doesn't complete the first time it will just retry on subsequent journeys. Only if attempts have failed will a a warning display asking you to take deliberate action. This will just involve driving for around 20 minutes at high(ish) revs. On the one and only occasion I saw this it was on my Qashqai. 20 minutes at 2500-3000 revs in 5th (out of 6) gear and all was OK and the warning light extinguished. A quick detour onto a motorway is the easiest option. Have owned a RAV4, CRV, FREETRACK and iX35 which never needed assistance - just the once on the Qashqai.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts