Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I love my Mokka, I really do. More than any other car I've had, and there's been a few.
But, it's making me cry.

It started around November last year, just a very slight rattle on start up. It's got progressively worse.
Sometimes, it sounds quick nasty, very metallic and angry. it only lasts for less than a second and then it's as normal as can be.
it happens when the engine is warm now too, but not as bad. It's worst when cold.

It used to be be every couple of days but now it's every time.

I've searched the forum and found some threads not directly linked to my engine that would put the issue at the timing chain tensioner.

Car has done just under 50k, it's a 2015 plate

What am I looking at here? new chain? ist that an engine out job?
Anyone had it done? how much was it?

thanks

Jase

·
Super Moderator
9,373 Posts
You describe it as "A rattle, metallic and angry" which without actually hearing it would require a guess.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recorded this today, it's from cold. It's having a good day, it's been worse than this recently.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Very difficult because with a recording there is no sense of where the sound is coming from, but to me it sounds like a tappet/valve lifter leaking down.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that sounds like a less depressing possibility.

any sure ways of testing for that?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Normally I would say place a long screwdriver on the cylinder head at various points while resting your ear on the handle end, but your noise is not lasting long enough to try that, on high mileage cars I have just changed the oil to 20/50 and it's stopped it permanently, but your mileage is relatively low. When your next oil change is due it might be worth trying 20/50 for a week or so, to see if it stops it, then change back to the correct oil. if the noise stops completely you know its a leaking tappet. The reason thicker oil often stops the noise is simply that it can't leak past the seal so easily.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bum, I've literally just had the oil changed in the last month.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts