FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Vauxhall / Opel Mokka forums and owners club!

Our forums allow you to post your pre-ordering information and questions, news, spy shots, running and maintaining your Mokka and anything else Mokka related! Introduce yourself in the Newbies forum and say hello to fellow Mokka Owners

Mechanical code 82 oil change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Kneeslider View Drop Down
Mokka Newbie
Mokka Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kneeslider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mechanical code 82 oil change
    Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 7:13pm
Six months after the first service on my new 2016 Mokka  and with only 9500 miles on the clock, I had a mechanical code 82 flash up on the dash.  The handbook says to change the oil immediately, so I assumed the approved Eden Vauxhall  mechanics had forgotten to reset the reminder switch after the service  Assuming that the oil had indeed been changed I immediately checked the oil to make sure it wasn't a low level warning, and saw that it was at the max - as I would expect after only 6 months!. 
i was therefore astounded to be told after a so called diagnostics check that my oil was at 3% ( whatever that means) and therefore the oil and filter needed to be changed  which I was charged for.

When I queried why it needed an oil change after only 6 months I was told that all modern cars are now engine managed and shorter start stop journeys result in more frequent oil changes.  I asked if that meant I would have to change the oil and filter every 6 months and was told "probably".  When I pointed out that I hadn't driven the car any differently in the last 6 months to the first year so why hadn't the code flashed up after the first 6 months, he didn't have an answer.  Have I been riipped off as I'm really angry about this?

Matt.

Sponsored Links

Mokka Newbie
Mokka Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kneeslider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 7:36pm
Its a Petrol, 1.6SE
MokkTheWeek View Drop Down
Mokka Expert
Mokka Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MokkTheWeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 8:48pm
3% is remaining oil life, have you checked that after the last oil and filter change it was reading 100% when the car was returned?
Mokka X 1.4 Auto Elite Mineral Black
Mokka Newbie
Mokka Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kneeslider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 9:02pm
I wasnt aware  of that facilicty, however checking on other sites it does appear that the engineer may not have reset it after the service. Or even may not have done the oil change. I will check in future, but have not given up yet.
Who would be best to complain to?

Thanks
Mokka Expert
Mokka Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MokkTheWeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 9:44pm
The only place to complain is the dealer who did the service, I know we should expect everything to be done by the book at dealers but I pop the bonnet and check basic stuff, pull the dipstick and check the level and colour of the oil, and all the visible fluids before I drive away.
You can just reset the oil life indicator yourself, but that does defeat the purpose of the life calculation, and puts your engine at risk of premature wear
Mokka Newbie
Mokka Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kneeslider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 9:54pm
Ok many thanks.  I will still send off a complaint to my local dealer, and as from now will check the oil "life" diagnostics regularly just to see to what it records over the next 6 months as a comparison. I am convinced that they forgot to reset it and have stung me in the process. 

Cheers.

Mokka Expert
Mokka Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MokkTheWeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 1:38pm
If it's black as coal it needed changing a long time agoSmile

A quick google will bring up cases of Vauxhall warranty claims being rejected because the oil life warning had been ignored.
Mokka Expert
Mokka Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MokkTheWeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 4:51pm
It must be logged, or Vauxhall would not be able to reject warranty claims, anybody making a warranty claim would reset it before they took the car in or simply say it only came on today, I've drained hundreds, maybe thousands of gallons of black oil over the years, but never out of my own cars! 

No matter how good an oil is, if its black its full of abrasive crap!

Vauxhall say the the oil must be changed within 300 miles of the oil life warning coming on, why would anybody throw away their warranty because they think they know better?
Mokka Expert
Mokka Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MokkTheWeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 6:25pm
I'm not on Vauxhalls side I'm on the owners side, whether or not the system works manufacturers think it does, and not following their advice can invalidate the warranty.
Mokka Newbie
Mokka Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kneeslider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 6:44pm
Thanks for all your comments people, definitely food for thought thats for sure. I always do an oil check as part of my routine anyway, but now will also check this "monitor" option too.  I will still send vauxhall a letter of complaint, although in reality I am not expecting them even to reply.  I was just infuriated that after they completed the full annual service, its only 6 months later that the oil seems to  need changing again. Very suspicious, even more so that it didnt appear in the first 6 months of use whilst driving it exactly the same and in the same conditions.  Just a big money tree.

I will let you know what the response is from Vauxhall.  Next time after the service, I will check the oil there and then and maybe even ask for the old filter. :-)  Thanks again everyone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic